13 - stay

——

——

Aaron lifted his head up as Rossi walked into the office he was currently occupying.

"How you holding up?"

"We just wasted a day looking into a black market that probably doesn't exist." He muttered.

"That's not what I mean." Rossi said as he came to stand in front of him. "I've heard whispers. You're getting some heat."

"I'm taking care of it." Aaron replied.

Olivia was going through some files when she saw Rossi and Hotch conversing in an empty office. It looked a little tense; on Hotch's part. She looked away as quickly as she spotted them and carried on with her work. It was none of her business.

*the next day*

The team all stood up front as they delivered the profile.

"The unsubs that we are looking for are a couple. Now, the man in the relationship most likely has a history of sexual violence. He started with stalking, and then moved his way up to assault and rape. And that violent streak ended temporarily when he found his wife. For the first years of their marriage, she submitted to his torture." Morgan started.

"Look for wives who came into the E.R. repeatedly and with obvious signs of spousal abuse, but you are gonna have to go back about 5 years. That's because around the time of the first abduction, the visits stopped." Emily picked up where he left off.

Rossi was staring at the board behind them, full of pictures of the victims when he heard Prentiss speak. He returned his attention to the profile. "The sexual sadist can't find satisfaction from a willing participant. He eventually got to a place
where he couldn't escalate his violence against her
without killing her, so she made him a deal. He gets to kidnap, rape, and kill each of the runaways, and she gets to keep the children."

"She's been giving the victims a series of prescription prenatal drugs. So you're gonna want to look at the obstetric fields, uh, Nurses, O.B.S. The wife needs these children. At first, they were the lifeline that kept her alive. As long as he had other targets for his abuse, she avoided his rage." Hotch added.

"So if these children protect her from abuse, why is she putting them up for adoption?" One of the cops asked.

Spencer shifted in his place when he answered this question. "We believe the unsubs want children who resemble them physically, who no one would question as their own. All of the runaways have been blond, which means the unsub may be as well."