8 - to clear things up

——

——

"Morning everyone." Reid greeted as he walked into the BAU.

"Morning kid." Derek smiled at him.

"Morning." Emily replied as she went through some files on her desk.

Spencer nodded and then grabbed a few books from his bag and sped off.

"Woah, where's he going?" Emily asked as she watched him practically run.

They watched as he walked up the stairs and knocked on the door of the office Olivia was currently occupying.

Olivia laughed as Hotch fumbled with some files he needed. "Someone has butter fingers."

He gave her a small smile, "this does not happen often."

That's when they heard Spencer knocking on the door.

Olivia looked up to see her visitor, "Hey Spence."

"Morning Liv." He entered her office. "I brought some books for you to read." He placed the stack of books on her desk. "Morning Hotch."

"Good morning Reid." He replied. "Well thank you for the files," he gestured to the stack of brown fbi files on her desk and the ones in his hands.

Olivia smiled, "anytime."

Hotch nodded and exited the room.

"So read them when you get the chance. I just need to fill in some paperwork, but I'll see you later I suppose." Spencer said as he went to lean against her doorway.

"Later?"

"The team is going to the bar down the street for drinks later. I was thinking maybe you came along? Which reminds me, I still have to tell Garcia but I guess Morgan's doing that." He rambled.

"Then I'll see you later." Olivia said and gave him a big smile.

He nodded and gave her one of his famous awkward waves and left. Olivia shook her head and carried on sorting through prospective cases. It had been two weeks since they had finished that case in Sacramento, and those two weeks had been full of completing overdue paperwork and relaxing at the office. Even Hotch was seen sitting at his desk with a cup of coffee in his hands and a movie being projected in his office. The whole team had joined him as soon as they noticed he was watching a movie and they turned it into a movie day.
It was days like those that Olivia knew they were more than a team, they were family.

The day went by quickly. Everyone was trapped in their own bubble of paperwork and copious amounts of coffee.

Olivia was playing some soft classical music whilst she caught up on her paperwork, which wasn't as much as the rest of the team had.

"I like the music." Emily said as she knocked then walked inside her office.

"It's calming." Olivia replied.

"I should come and work in here with you." Emily said as she looked around at the office Olivia had tried really hard to keep neat and tidy.

Olivia laughed, "I would love that." Emily sat down opposite her. "You know, it's really nice here, just filling in paperwork and listening to music and knowing the whole team is safe and just outside your door."

"Yeah. Weeks like these are what keep us sane." Emily replied.

They sat there for a minute or two in silence while Olivia finished up a report. As soon as she was done, she put her pen down, neatened up her desk a little and then sat backwards. This is when Emily knew she had her undivided attention.

"You've been here for almost a month now?" She asked.

Olivia nodded.

"It feels like you've been here for longer. You're part of the team now." She carried on and smiled whilst saying that.

"I'm trying not to get attached because I don't have a lot of time here. But you guys make it hard."

Emily laughed. "You've made it easy to like you."

"Enough with the small talk. You obviously walked into my office with a plan." Olivia said and gave her a look.

Emily grinned, "I was getting there. So you and Reid?"

Olivia groaned, "are friends! We're friends."

Emily laughed as she watched Olivia defend herself. Then she nodded and smirked knowingly. Olivia wasn't going to deny it that easily.

A few meters away in the bullpen, Spencer was reading. That is until Derek came and sat on his desk.

"Kid." He said, trying to distract the young genius from his reading material.

Spencer hummed as he heard Derek call him.

"Kid." He said again and lightly pushed Spencer's book down from the front of his face.

"Yes?" Spencer asked now that his concentration was broken.

"You and Olivia. What's the deal?" He glanced towards her office and saw her and Prentiss talking and laughing. Spencer followed his line of sight and saw the exact same thing.

"There's no deal. We're friends."

"Pfft. You're like me and Garcia. Except nerdy." Derek said and grinned.

"Well you guys are just friends. She has Kevin and you have, well, girls." Spencer pointed out.

"I see your point." Derek nodded. "Keep being her friend, she's good for you." He said and ruffled his hair then got off of his desk and went back to his.

Spencer nodded then went about fixing his hair. It was sticking up all over the place after Derek had touched it.

Back in Olivia's office, Emily was still trying to get a different answer from her.

"You can't be just friends. I refuse to believe that." She said as she threw her hands up in mild frustration. The she smiled. "Why are you just friends?"

"Well we just are. And I'm not attracted to him like that. He's an amazing friend but I don't think we'll ever be something more," Olivia elaborated, "He's just not my type I guess?"

"That sounded an awful lot like a question."

"I'm trying not to be insensitive here." Olivia replied.

"Okay. I give up." Emily raised her hands up in surrender.

Olivia cheered in victory. "Yes!"

"I'm watching you though." Emily stood up from the chair she was comfortably occupying just moments before. She pointed at her with her two fingers and laughed. "I've got to get going. But it was nice talking to you."

"Likewise. We should do this more often." Olivia replied as she waved.

Emily left the office and suddenly it was just her in her little bubble again.