twenty eight

——

——

All but five minutes had gone by and Hotch was nowhere to be seen or heard. Olivia was getting antsy as the team carried on drinking coffee and chatting amongst one another.

"Just go." Derek said softly, but the whole team turned their attention to them anyway.

She looked at Emily who just nodded and they watched as she stood up and walked up the stairs, much like Hotch did moments before.

She made a beeline for the guest bedroom he had occupied when he first came to her home. It now felt like ages ago.

"Aaron?" She called out and entered the room. He wasn't in the bedroom so she went to look in the en-suite. "Hey." She breathed as she saw him leaning against the basin.

"I uh, I have something for you." He said nervously as he stood up straight and walked out of the bathroom and into the bedroom.

She smiled, "so you pretended to get upset so that you could give me something?"

He nodded and gave her a small smile. He handed the box to her and she opened it. It was a necklace, he watched as she took it out of the box.

"Is that a cupcake?" She smiled and held it up. It was a simple gold necklace with a small cupcake charm on it.

"I know how much you love baking," he told her.

"Could you-?" She asked shyly and held the necklace out for him to take.

He nodded and she turned around. She felt his fingers gently brush her hair back, her cheeks went red and she went to hold her hair up. He brought the necklace over her head and placed it gently on her neck. She felt him secure the clasp of the necklace and his fingers lingered for just a moment before she let her hair tumble down her back.

She turned around and faced him. His face was dangerously close to hers and neither of them said a word as they met each other's eyes. Everything around them drowned out as they melted in each others gazes. She could only watch as he brought his hand up to lightly grasp her chin and tilt her face up. He leaned down and she felt his lips meet hers.

The kiss was mind numbing. All she could focus on was the feeling of his soft lips against hers. His hand was now resting on her cheek and his other on her waist. Her hands once again found their place on his shirt and grasped the thin material as he deepened the kiss. He stopped and leaned his forehead against hers.

"Happy birthday." He mumbled and then his lips met hers again.

"SURPRISE!" The team shouted as Hotch led her down the stairs.

Olivia gasped. The whole team had assembled in her living room. JJ and Rossi had appeared and there were decorations strewn everywhere as well as a cake on the table.