·Chapter Three·

Start from the beginning

"An older sister. Liberty. I can let you guess why she was named that."

He burst out laughing. "Are you two close?" I nodded. "So are Adnan and me. Speaking of which, he's been messaging me all day. I need to send him a quick text."

"Go ahead," I said, smiling and browsing at all his pictures along the wall. He has The Holy Qur'an settled on his end table and a picture of what looks like his parents standing beside him in front of a Mosque.

The building looked vaguely familiar. I can't figure out where I've seen it before, but maybe it will come back to me one day. Amir finished with his text, and then cleaned his dishes quickly. I sat down on the couch, and then we were switched back into my living room.

"Woah! This changing of locations is quite unsettling sometimes. It was like that when I first saw you," he said, sitting down beside me.

"Thinking of that, how did you come about learning who we are?"

"Faisal. We work at a medical research company and I walked in on him speaking to a young blonde woman. I've never seen her before, and the both of them were giggling about something when I stepped in through the door."

"So he is part of us too?" I asked, still unraveled about this discovery.

He nodded. "When I smiled and waved at the woman, they were both shocked. They didn't know that I was a tethered one. I later learned her name. Cassandra. She lives in Canada, and she is tethered to Faisal."

"So if you weren't part of the species, then you would not have been able to see her?"

"That's correct. Our species is rare. Nothing is wrong with us, but we are rare."

"How often do they see each other?"

"Well, Faisal and her remain friends, but she stays in Canada with her girlfriend while he is here." I smiled. "They help each other through any issues they may encounter in life, be a comfort to one another. Something I'd like to experience myself."

"Can I ask . . . What about arranged marriages? Does your family require that?"

He took a deep breath and narrowed his eyes. Then he gazed my way and said, "They do, but it's my choice. They pick someone out and I decide I want to meet with them or not. Then, we go from there."

"That doesn't sound so bad. They could make a good choice in finding a  helpmate you," I murmured, realizing some families do things differently than most.

"Not really. No. I mean, each marriage that's happened in my bloodline have all been arranged with the help of our families. That is all I've ever wondered about on who they'd choose for me." 

"What about faith? I see your Qur'an over there. Would your potential partner have to convert or believe in Islam as well?"

He took a moment to answer and sat up straighter. "For me, I care about someone's personality. Few people do that. I would rather her believe in Islam like I do, but I will respect her wishes if she doesn't. I just couldn't be with her."

"But if you care about her personality, why is her choice of faith a deal breaker?"

"It's mostly because of my family. But I see your point. I guess being with someone like-minded is the ultimate goal. Right?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe? Why maybe?"

"Liberty is dating a man who is Hindu, and she is Atheist, and they never let their differences come between them. She loves him, and he loves her."