·Chapter Twenty-Seven Part 2·

*Amir*

*Amir*

As I stood in Luna's living room, I was quiet and in shock of how I just realized our connection was much more than just our species. I was the only one around who knew how to do CPR that day, and I remembered seeing Sarah's father on a phone call as my relatives wanted to take some pictures. It was sunny and beautiful outside. And I remembered that fateful moment when I was in front of my aunt's phone for one minute, the camera snapping a picture of us. Then, as I turned around, I watched this man fall to the ground. I later found out he died because of a tumor in his brain; a tumor my team at my research facility tried to come up with a plan on how to extract it.

Sam's doctor in Houston was Dr. Chauvin, who now worked in a hospital in New Orleans. I kept in touch with his doctor, who told me he didn't believe it was possible to remove the tumor without doing more damage to the patient. I didn't have time to look at the file that was placed on my desk weeks before Sam died, but I looked at his scans and saw the size of it. I reached out to his doctor to inform him that "radiation might be the patient's best hope", but also to have the patient go to the research hospital I was working in. I thought I might help. The tumor didn't look like it was in a spot where surgery couldn't be performed to remove it, but as I recall, surgery would have hindered him. Either way, Samuel was in Pakistan to meet with one of my colleagues, and me.

I turned to Luna and watched as she looked pale and in shock. The picture was taken at the exact same time Sam had his phone facing us. This news must be so painful for her, and the only thing I could think of to do was pull her close, into a gentle hug. Our scene changed from my place to hers, then to mine. Our connection was much more than a pairing, it was destiny.

"Luna..."

My gaze swung over to the picture, and I laid it face down so she didn't continue staring at it, reliving those sad moments in her mind. Her chest started rising and falling, and her legs were shaking as she stood by my mantle. I tried to usher her to the couch and our scenes then changed as we were now back in her place. Running my hand along her shoulders and arms, I gently tilted her chin up to mine, gazing softly into her eyes.

"Would you like me to get you some water, or anything to drink?"

She shook her head and looked down, staring at the game we were playing, where she beat me twice. "I'll be fine." She leaned back and glanced my way. "Why didn't you tell me before?"

"Tell you what?"

"You could see my memories and Sam's face must have struck you at that moment."

"I don't know. It actually didn't. I think when I tried to access all your memories, you sort of blocked them out. Maybe? It was like you threw a veil over your mind, and it was suddenly dark."

"I'm sorry. I don't know how to control that. I'm still getting used to controlling a lot of things."

I squeezed her shoulders gently and kissed her forehead. "I understand. It's actually a shock to myself that I was the one who tried my absolute best to revive him. I'm so sorry that I couldn't have done more."