·Chapter Thirty-Six·

*Liberty*

*Liberty*

AS I DROVE IN FRONT OF Luna's Photography Studio, I parked in front of The Indian Café instead.

A few vehicles were parked around the front door where those spots were specifically reserved for Luna and her clients. I came by here to check everything out and possibly bring something to her that could cheer her up. It was only one in the afternoon, and visiting hours were later. So this gave us some time to kill before heading to that dreadful place. Sarah looked up from her book she was reading and grinned at her mummy's building.

"MOMMY! Is mommy at work?" she asked, full of hope.

I shook my head and frowned. "Not here, little one. Mummy is somewhere else, and we will see her shortly." Poor Sarah. She tore up, so I reached back and held her hand.

As I opened my door and jumped out, Mera from the restaurant, who also partially owned it, walked over to my side and smiled. "Well, hello, Ms. Liberty. How are you and Sarah doing?"

She peered down and waved at my niece and reached over to tickle her for a moment. Mera had known Sarah since Luna moved in, and sometimes the family babysat for Luna and Stranger. That is Chase's new name. He was a stranger to me now. Especially after what he'd done.

"We are good, Mera." I stepped to the passenger side door and laid my hand on the handle, about to pull Sarah out. "How's the restaurant going?" Both of us were restaurant owners, and every time I saw her I like to talk business. She also taught me some Indian recipes I like to fix at home, because I wanted to surprise Ahmed with a home cooked meal that he didn't already teach me.

"It's good." She frowned and cranked her head toward Luna's studio. Mera was young too—like in her mid-forties. "Is Luna all right?"

"She came down with something and has her shop temporarily closed at the moment." I didn't want to tell her the truth or reveal Luna's situation. It wasn't my information to tell.

"That sounds bad." She adjusted her hijab and peered back up to me. "I've missed seeing her every day. And after seeing the notice Mr. Marquette put up on the door had me worried."

I reached in and unbuckled Sarah, then swooped her up into my arms. Mera's son, Raul, skateboarded toward us and smiled at me. Then at Sarah. I glanced at the studio and wondered what sign Stranger threw up there.

"Hi, Liberty. Hi, Sarah," he said, greeting us. I gave him a small smile and slightly nodded. "Where is your sister at?"

"She is ill at the moment. But we'll try to get the studio back opened again. It was her livelihood." They all laughed my way.