·Chapter Forty-Six·

*Luna*

*Luna*

"What the hell did they give you?" Amir asked me, his head resting on my shoulder and his arms wrapped around my waist.

"I don't know. It's strong. The strongest I've ever taken."

"It's making me feel weak, Moon." I smiled as he called me by his nickname for me. He rarely called me that, but it was still cute when I heard it from his lips.

"I think they're getting ready to send me to the Orange floor. Sergeant Decker stood there as the nurses gave me two extra pills. These were ones I've never seen before."

"I swear, they will all get a taste of that medicine one day. I swear it, Luna." He breathed heavily as he stared into my eyes. "I'm so mad-mostly at myself. I wish there was something I could've done before all this. I can just taste the anger boiling in my blood. I want to find Chase and rearrange his entire body and hide the parts. But do you want to know what I thought about the last few days? All last night? The one single thought that never escaped my mind?"

"Tell me," I whispered.

"I was thinking how I am the luckiest S.O.B. on the planet, because I have the one person who means more to me than my own life still here. She's right in front of me and never gives up. And no matter what goes on in her life, she fights. She is a fighter and a beautiful, intelligent human being. I am so blessed she is part of my life. You are my life, Luna."

A tear escaped my eyelid and rolled down my cheek. His devotion to me once again spread through my body, leaving me breathless. The feeling this time felt like I had jumped off the edge of a cliff with him and didn't care how far the fall was. It felt exhilarating and adventurous. "But what if one day you change your mind? You know my circumstances right now. And you shouldn't hold yourself out for someone like me."

"I won't. I'll never... never change my mind, or my feelings for you."

His thumb caressed underneath my eyes as he leaned in to kiss a tear away. "I don't know what the next minute or hour or even what a month from now will be like. Hell, I may end up rushing to your side right now and start a war just to free you from that place. That's still a possibility. But what I know is what's in my heart and soul for you that will never go away. That... I can promise you."

Hearing those words come from his beautiful and tasteful mouth made me cry even harder. He bent his head lower and slowly kissed my tears away. By the time he was done, I didn't feel any drops along my skin. When he looked back up to me, his lips found mine and my reality just faded away. The bed and room that I'm in right now vanished for a few precious moments, and all I could think about was how much of a compassionate person he truly was. And how I loved the soul he possessed.