Part 3 | Dedicated (Revision Sample)

Assalamualaikum - Peace Be Upon You
Walaikumassalam - Peace Be Upon You, Too

Greetings that are spoken between fellow Muslims. 🙏 ☪

━━━─── • ───━━━

Once the clock struck eight-thirty in the evening, anxiety rolled through Amir. It was time for his younger cousin, Yasmin's, thirteenth birthday festivities. When any member of his family has a birthday, everyone unites to spread joy and laughter, but also to catch up on what they've been doing in their lives.

Sometimes it was a pleasant gathering with his family, but other times he'd get the same speech about finding a wife or if children were in his future.

A wife and children have always been in his mind, but lately, he had been concentrating on work. Since he discovered his lineage, he was nervous about how the evening would flow. He didn't want to turn his family down for their assistance in arranging a marriage, but it was the inevitable discussions to follow that made his uneasiness intensify.

Finally reaching his aunt and uncle's driveway, Amir parked his Audi and gradually climbed out.

As he rang the doorbell, he heard soft footsteps approaching and was immediately greeted by Farooq, his cousin.

"Amir!" Farooq exclaimed, drawing him into a brotherly hug. "Assalamualaikum. We're happy you came."

"Walaikumusalam," Amir replied. "I didn't think I would. Work has me busy these days," he added, carefully removing his shoes at the doorway.

Even though the others may not always do this in their homes, Amir did, because shoes tracked everything from the outside.

"Well, I'm glad. Faisal said you'd be at the laboratory for another half hour," Farooq remarked. "Since you're here, I should warn you. The ladies are ready to match you and Adnan. Your mother is going softer on your brother since he's younger. But for you, that's what she is apprehensive about."

"Being my age, everyone is paired or married. I don't want to disappoint them."

"Amir, I understand. My mother never let up until I chose Surayya Abbasi. We've set a date for summertime next year." Amir nodded a little and sighed. "Agree to meet with one of the ladies the family arranges, and it'll be over. You can fall in love with her later."

Amir tsked loudly. Farooq made it seem like he didn't care for loving someone for the right reasons. Every couple in their family line had been arranged, but he didn't want to settle for anyone. If he couldn't picture a life with his potential bride, then he'd have to decline their request, causing more frustrations among them. That burden would be unsettling for him, knowing he'd let his family down. He wouldn't be able to endure their disapproval. Their wishes meant everything to him.

No one has left home without being married first, but he moved out recently after he bought a house on top of a hill that overlooked the capital of Pakistan. After Faisal shared their ancestry, that was all he could think about. He couldn't help but wonder where his partner was, and who would be paired for him. He wanted to have a private space, somewhere he could talk and have conversations and never get interrupted by relatives. It was expected of him to choose a wife, but he ended up changing his family's tradition, disrupting the plans his parents had for his life.