·Chapter Three·

Start from the beginning

"No. It's fine." He leaned down and wiped up the mess I caused. He had on a long black tunic top and loose-fitting pants that fit nicely around his waist. A Shalwar Kameez, I believe.

"What is that called?" I asked him, bringing my eyes back to his.

He smiled my way and finished up. "Chicken Karahi," he said, pouring the rest into his bowl. "It's a popular dish here."

"Oh."

"What do you guys like in Louisiana?"

"Shrimp and Gumbo mostly." He chuckled, and we both sat down at his medium-sized table. "I rarely eat either. I like Vegetable Gumbo, though."

"I will have to try that one of these days." He took a bite of his food, and it caused me to feel like I took a bite as well. The texture is rich, thick and meaty, with a hearty flavor especially compatible with all the savory ingredients inside it. It really hit the spot. This connection is unreal, I can taste what he eats and drinks. "Are there other foods you like?"

"Well, the South is known for fishing and hunting. I used to like crawfish, but I like to eat more Italian food than anything. There is actually an Indian restaurant in front of my shop. I smell their food across the way a lot," I told him, and he laughed.

"What kind of work do you do?" Amir asked me.

"I'm a photographer. I normally do photo sessions for clients who have an agent. You know, for sports or entertainment purposes. I also garden in my spare time outside my home, and sometimes I will hold a plant sale. I know, I'm probably boring you to death."

He slurped his food and shook his head. "No. Not at all. I want to get to know you."

"Oh,well, I'm just an average person. I work, raise my daughter, and make time for my family. Be who everyone expects me to be."

He laid down his spoon and touched my hand. "You're much more than that. I can tell. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders."

"Thank you." I inched back and stood to my feet and looked around his spacious two-story home with glass windows everywhere. He was definitely a bachelor and had a unique style about himself.

As I made my way to the window, I glanced out... in awe. His house is on top of a hill that overlooked a small village down the way. It's morning time in Louisiana, but evening here. This was so unreal.

"You can see almost everything from where you're standing," he said, gazing my way. "It's perfect for the sunset and sunrise."

The view was stunning. Such magnificent mountains surrounded his house, and the hilltop was relaxing, invigorating, arduous, meditative and every shade in-between. It was perfect for exercise or laying out in the sun and enjoy what life had to offer.

"I'm sure it is. It's a good thing I can tap into your mind anytime and take a break from life, should I need to." He chuckled.

"You can tap into my mind anytime, Ms. Carlyle. I wouldn't mind." Is he — he can't be flirting with me? Did I mind it?

I flushed and turned around to hide my pink cheeks. Then I heard him move in his chair behind me. "This is pretty much who I am. I live alone, most of the time."

"Most of the time?"

"Yeah. My younger brother, Adnan, comes to stay some nights. He's younger than me and still lives at home, but even he needs a break." I glanced back at him and caught his smile. Then glanced at a picture of them on his fireplace mantle. "What about you? Do you have any siblings?"