A chuckle slips out of Liam's lips. A smile slides on to my face from seeing Liam happy and not upset like he had been earlier today. He's really cute when he's all smiling and happy. I wish Liam was like this more often. 

        Mason laughs along, shaking his head. "No, no. Just go out there and kick their smug, prep school asses."                 

        Liam holds out a fist. "Alright."

        Mason bumps his own fist against it. "Dakota and I will watch you from the bleachers." Mason heads for the bleachers, but I hold a finger up, as if to say that I'll be just a minute. 

        "Be careful, okay? I'm worried about what might happen out there." I fold my hands together, nervously peeking at the field from over Liam's shoulder. 

        Liam's eyes light up with an unknown emotion. He surprises me by wrapping his arms around my body and pulling me into a hug. Stiffened at first, I loosen up and wrap my arms around his neck. "I'll be okay." 

        "You know, Scott said that we needed to find anchors to stay grounded." I say. My face almost pressed into his neck. "I think you're mine." I whisper the last part. Growing a little braver than usual, I push up on my toes, pressing my cool lips against Liam's cheek. I pull back after a few seconds, "Good luck." 

        "Hey, Liam! Think fast!" Brett yells from the field. 

        I barely have time to react before Liam wraps an arm around me, just before I could walk away and holds me to his chest as he catches the lacrosse ball that was thrown at us. I yelp when I see the ball in Liam's hand, the exact same spot where I was just standing. Was he aiming for me? Liam glances back to where Scott is talking to Coach Finstock. The cute, boyish smile that was just on his lips is replaced with a cold look. 

        "Liam, don't." I plead, not liking his change of attitude.

        Liam pulls on his helmet, headed straight for the field. The rest of the team follows him out on the field, while Coach Finstock cheers for them. I bite my lip, worried. Oh, no. I thought Liam was going to be okay. At least, he was okay until Brett decided to be a douche bag. 

        I find a seat by Mason and some freshman girl named Violet. I guess I could have sat with Malia, but I don't know her that well. I don't know if we would get along. Mason is nice and I guess Violet is, too. 

        The first quarter starts. My nails find a way to my mouth and I start to bite on them, nervously. I don't like this at all. Liam should not be playing tonight. From the corner of my eye, I see Violet turn her head my way, watching me carefully. I try to ignore her, but after a few minutes of silence, I grow very uncomfortable. I move my head towards her with one eyebrow raised in question. 

        "Aren't you that girl that was in that car crash? Your parents died, right?" Violet snaps her fingers, like she just remembered. 

        I open my mouth, only to shut it a few seconds later. I feel my throat tighten. "Um, yeah." I whisper.

        Violet nods, smiling. "Yeah, I knew you looked familiar. I'm an orphan, too." 

        Why is she smiling? This isn't something to smile about. 

        "Okay." I bring my eyes back to the game. 

        Brett and Scott are in the middle of the field, ready to fight for the lacrosse ball. Liam is behind Scott, breathing heavily. I hate not being able to help with any of this. As if I wasn't already worried for Liam, now, I'm thinking about how my parents are gone. I have no one now. The word orphan is such a hard word for me to comprehend.