Chapter 17

It was the middle of the night and the members of the Hunters Guild is resting. They were split up and got situated in the rooms of the Xiao-Long-Rose residence. Ren and Jaune were forced to stay in the living room, where the group placed down the cocoon, with their guildmaster inside. As they all were resting a faint blue glow was emitted by the cocoon. It almost looked like a very slow heartbeat as the light got brighter and dimmer in a rythmic pattern. All members of the Hunters Guild had problem falling asleep as the scenes of their prior fight and the fate of Y/n still replayed in their minds until their fatigue forced them asleep.

Y/n woke up in a black void, he saw nothing, heard nothing. Felt nothing. Thought nothing. He was not sure where he was, how he got there or where he was looking. No matter how hard he tried to get his bearing and look for something, anything, he only found darkness.

There he was alone in the dark void for who knows how long. Everytime Y/n tried to keep track of time by counting the seconds his mind became empty after a few seconds. It was an empty and dark void.

Until he felt for the first time since awaking in this void. His nose was itching and he sneezed. Now he also saw for the first time, he saw a faint orange light coming from his right and light blue wisps of fog from his left.

Now Y/n finally had an idea of where left and right could be and so he turned to his potential right he saw a tiny ember not much bigger than a grain of sand, which gave of a warm, orange light. To his left was a barely visble snowflake enveloped by fog.

Y/n watched as both the ember and the snowflake grew in size. They grew and grew yet never touched. One became an endless sea of fire with violent winds further feeding the flames, the other a frozen wasteland with ice shards as big as trees and sharp as spears. It was at that moment Y/n realized where he was. Ginnungagap. To his right were the flames of Muspelheim and to his left the cold of Niflheim. He watched the two worlds that were the base of all things appear.

Nothing much happened while Y/n felt the scorching heat of Muspellheim and the freezing cold of Niflheim hit his sides. That was until Y/n felt how Muspellheim's heat took other the cold and as he looked he saw the firery giant being he knew as Surt. The one thing causing even more havoc, destruction and death than any other bringers of Ragnarök together. And it just appeared out of the flames holding its sword. Surt simply stood there at the rim of Muspellheim looking other the giant void between the two realms. Its gaze wandered upwards until it and Y/n locked eyes. The two just stared at each other as if daring the other to move.

The small staring battle was cut short by a loud cracking sound coming from the frozen wasteland. Both Y/n and Surt turned their gazes and saw how the biggest glacier slowly began to fall apart revealing the newest members of the staring competition, Ymir and the cow Adhumla. The human, the fire giant, the frost giant and the giant cow stared at each other, but soon Ymir got tired and layed down to sleep. Y/n watched Ymir, knowing what will happen soon and as the sagas said the three children of Ymir appeared from the giants body. First came a man and a woman from the giants armpits and after from between its feet another man. The first giants.

While the four giants fed from Adhumlas milk, the cow was licking away at another glacier. Days passed until something began to come out of the ice. First was a head, than the upper body and soon Buri, the first god, awoke from his slumber and as he saw the giants he did what everyone would have done and ran, he ran and ran until reaching Ginnungagap, without even a second thought Buri jumped and Y/n watched the god disappear into the darkness of the void. That was something the sagas never told about, but if Y/n was being honest there was a lot of things that not 100% clear. Like how Buri found a wife and had Bor. Or how Bor met Bestla the giantess and the mother of Odin, Ve and Vili.