Chapter 40

All first year students have gathered in the audiotorium awaiting the instructions for the first Raid. The Hunters Guild was offered the option not to participate as they already have cleared a Dungeon on their own before. So they, except of Y/n, will be allowed to stay at Beacon, something which Ruby and her crew consisting of Yang, Blake and Weiss, are using to head out on a Quest.

Looking around Y/n realized just how many first years had to leave Beacon, some due to their lack of funds, some due to injury and even some due to personal reasons. The room that at the day of the initiation was filled to the brim with students now is mostly empty. If he had to guess only around 40 to 50 students are still here.

It was no secret that Heroes only make up a small percentage of Remnants population. Take Beacon for example. Each year between 200 and 300 students are allowed to take the initiation exam. By the time the exam is over around half of those will either have failed or, in a fair amount of cases, died. Till the end of the first semester the number of students once again will be cut in half, either from failing the Ranking-Exam, failing to gather the needed coins to stay at Beacon or, again, dying.

This allowed Y/n to actually accept how lucky he was, even if it was in a twisted kind of way. If he never got trapped in that dungeon at the start of the year, he would not have had the funds to create the Hunters Guild. Without the sudden urge to get his Rank early he would not have been able to go on the Quests his Guild was given. Without those Quests he would probably still lack in funds, maybe not as much as at the beginning but nowhere near as little as now.

For all intents and purposes Y/n could create 10 more Guilds each with their own Guildhall and at least 20 members and he still would have some coins left. The rewards from the S-Rank Dungeon plus for the protection of Patch and Vale have been vast. His almost daily hunting trips with his summons brought more coins to the Guild and lastly his blacksmith shop was also bringing quiet a lot of profits with it.

On avarage only around 30-40 Students make it to their second year, from that point on that number will shrink a lot slower.

From the 30-40 students around 25-30 make it into their third year and from those only around 15-20 will move into their fourth year and lastly around 10 students graduate from Beacon as fully fledged Heroes.

That is only around 5% of the original applicants add to that the high possibility of dying on duty and one can fully understand why every Kingdom celebrates Heroes and practically treats them like royalty, in Mistrals case Heroes ARE royalty.

Soon Ozpin entered the stage and the crowds muttering and chatting silenced itself.

Ozpin: "I believe most of you are aware of what the three biggest tasks of a Hero are. But just to make sure I will repeat. A Hero kills Grimm, completes Quests and lastly clears Dungeons. All of you have killed your first Grimm under our watch at your initiation. You have accepted and completed your first Quest when you were given your Ranks and today you will head onto your first official Dungeon Raid. The teaching staff has prepared suitable Dungeons and split you into groups according to your skills and abilities. Each group will be accompanied by a chosen student who has already went onto multiple Raids. Their job is it to offer you knowledge and support, additionally they also are partly responsible for your grade, so dont cause them any problems. Now each of you will be given a list containing the names of your raiding group members and which carriage will bring you to your Dungeon. Heed this warning, the Dungeons are in Mount Glenn and while Heroes have already cleared the area as best as they can, there could still be remaining Grimm and as some of you might already know it is hard to tell how long the clearing of the Dungeon will take, so you will be given a weeks worth of rations, just to be on the safe side."