Chapter 57: THE PHONE CALL

-So, Stacie, why did you never gave me that letter? - Suddenly said Ivar out of the blue, making her nearly choke on the milk she was drinking at that moment.

-W-which letter? - She stared at him with a stun, wiping her mouth.

-The one in which you confessed your feelings to me. - He pierced her with a purple glint in his eyes.

-Eh?! - Stacie gaped at him in a shock as her face suddenly flushed pure crimson. - H-how d-did you know about it?... - She stammered with extreme awkwardness and embarrassment, very aware of how red her face was.

-I received it from Janice along with your other one.

"Oh shoot! It was in that book I gave her!" Stacie suddenly slapped herself on the face. "Ugh, I totally forgot I put it in there! Janice... Why would you do that?... Is this your idea of revenge?" Feeling mortified her head slumped down onto the table, hiding her burning face from Ivar.

-Stacie? What's the matter? - He asked with concern.

-Did you read it?... - She mumbled feeling like there'll be a burned imprint of her face left on the surface of the table.

-Of course, I did. - He replied and a muffled groan escaped her. - Why? What's wrong with it? - He stared at her genuinely confused.

-I'm so sorry Ivar... - She mumbled again. - I dunno what was I thinking back then... It's too embarrassing...

Ivar chuckled, got up, and sat on the chair next to hers.

-You should have given it to me much sooner. - He said, gently lifting her up and peering into her flushed face. - Why didn't you? Had I known that's how you felt about me all along, it could have changed a lot of things.

-I-it would? - Surprised, Stacie stared at him.

-Yes.

-I... I was going to give it to you, but... Then I overheard you make a statement that I was way too inferior for you, so I... Couldn't... - She dropped her gaze. - I could not bring myself to impose my feelings on you when they were so unrequired at that time...

-Stacie... - Ivar lifted her face up again, stroking her cheek. - I have been captivated by you from the moment we met. And my affection for you only deepened the more I got to know you. And despite me putting in my best efforts, I could not help myself. So I made up the whole idea that I'm not good for you. I will only hurt you eventually. You were this ray of sunshine that seemed so fragile, it felt like my cold shadow would extinguish it in a heartbeat. I didn't think I was right for you. That I'd somehow drag you down into my miserable world and make you suffer. And, I wasn't sure if you'd want me with all my flaws and scars. If you'd be able to put up with me. That's why I said what I said back then. But if even in spite of that, you had given me that letter, if you'd confessed your feelings to me, do you honestly think I would be able to resist you? I am not that strong, Stacie. I can't control what I feel for you. I tried to keep away from you for your sake, but if at any point had you expressed a desire to be with me, I'd drop all my convictions right then and immediately grant you that wish. So, you should have just given me that letter.

-Well... how was I supposed to know? - Whispered Stacie through an overwhelming flutter in her chest. - I'm also, not as brave as you think. I was scared of what your reaction might be...

-This is what my reaction would have been. - Said Ivar, and pulled her into a sweet kiss. - So, what was the gift you mentioned in that letter? - He added after a long moment of savoring her lips.

-Oh... Um... Well, now that I think about it, it's pretty silly, actually... - She stammered feeling embarrassed all over again.

-Is that so? - There was a mischievous spark in his eyes. - Now I'm even more curious. - Chuckled Ivar. - What was it? If it was meant for me then you ought to give it to me now.