Chapter 3: INTO THE UNKNOWN

-We are here, miss. - An attendant gently touched her shoulder.

It was about a fifteen-hour flight, and since Stacie didn't get enough sleep the night before, because she was too anxious, she dozed off on the plane.

-Miss, wake up!

Stacie opened her eyes and looked around, still feeling groggy.

-Did we arrive? - She asked the attendant sleepily and lifted her seat back into a sitting position.

-Yes, we're about to land, so please buckle up.

They have arrived at another private airport. This one was even smaller than the one before. Though she had absolutely no idea where she was, the surrounding landscape looked like somewhere in the middle of the desert. 

"Is this really it?" she thought with confusion, looking around as she was led out of the jet and told to wait. "But there's nothing here!" 

There really was nothing except for a few short airplane lanes and one small control tower. The sun was just about to start setting and hung over the golden hills painting the sky with peach and lavender hues. The air was neither cold nor hot, just that unpleasant temperature, that clung to you making you feel like you're wrapped in saran wrap. 

"Phew..." Exhaled Stacie, peeling away her shirt that was sticking to her body.

-It sure is h... - She started saying to herself when suddenly a strong gust of wind swept all through the airport, accompanied by an obnoxiously loud propelling sound.

She turned away, covering her face protecting it from the stimulated dust cloud. She didn't need to look in order to know what was the cause of this sudden storm arousal, as the deafening chopping sound of the propellers was a dead giveaway. The helicopter had landed on specifically designated landing mark about a hundred yards away from Stacie, and the gust has calmed down a great deal. She slowly looked over and saw a pilot climbing out of its cockpit and in short while made his way towards her.

-Miss Maclay, I presume? - He asked with a slight Australian accent, as he approached her.

-Yes... - She replied a bit timidly.

-Greetings. I am here to deliver you to the safe house of the stargate portal via helicopter. The safe house is in a secret and securely guarded location, so there are no roads leading there.

-Understandable. - Replied Stacie.

-How are you with heights miss? This is different from jet or airplane flying.

-This wouldn't be my first time flying by helicopter sir. - Smiled Stacie - In my line of work, there are places you can't get to by any other mode of transportation but the helicopter. I'm alright with heights.

-Splendid. Shall we be on our way then? You are being expected.

She nodded in reply and followed the pilot to the cockpit of his chopper, while the flight attendant took her luggage to load it up on to the helicopter.

After about another hour or so, they arrived at a peculiar spot, that looked like a very small valley surrounded by sheer cliffs. Again, it seemed like there was nothing there from the above view of the helicopter's windows until the helicopter started to slowly and carefully descend down into that valley. Suddenly a huge, round tunnel burrowed deep into one of the walls of the cliff revealed itself at the very bottom, and about several yards deep inside that tunnel, was a wall with a heavy, metal, garage-like door. The door was opened as soon as the helicopter's engine was cut, and some armed security guards dressed in military uniforms came out to greet them and she was escorted inside.