Chapter 32: LESSON NUMBER ONE

"What has gotten into him? Where exactly is he taking me? And why?..." Wondered Stacie, as she followed Ivar to the part of the city she wasn't recognizing.

After several long corridors and few flights of stairs, suddenly they found themselves on a spacious outdoor court-like platform. The platform looked like It might have been used for different events, concerts maybe, festivals or even market place. It was completely paved with several patches that looked like they held plants at some point with now empty and dry fountains. This court might have been really beautiful once, noted Stacie. On the far side of it, Stacie noticed several items, that didn't seem like they belonged here. They were brand new and looked like some sort of far range shooting practice targets, all strategically positioned throughout the area. And that's where Ivar was taking her.

-What is this? - She looked questionably at him when they finally stopped.

-This is your personal training court. - Replied Ivar. - I am going to teach you something that will help you defend yourself in threatening situations.

-W-what?... You're going to teach... - Stunned, she stared at him wide-eyed.

-Don't worry. I will still see to your safety as promised. But this is just a precaution for extra security. Of all the personnel who has clearance to go out on missions, you are the only one who doesn't have any military training. Or know how to defend yourself for that matter. So, I decided it's about time we upgrade that.

"What?! Really?!... Ivar's going to teach me?..." Stacie felt a thump in her chest and her cheeks turned pink at the mere thought of it, feeling embarrassed about the fact that she actually felt a rush of thrill.

-But... What exactly... are you going to teach me? - She asked, timidly tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear, still having a hard time believing he is really going to do this.

Ivar lifted a rectangular case off the floor, placed it on a small round table that was there and opened it revealing it's content.

-Archery. - He said as he started to assemble a silver bow, that was in three pieces, not wasting any time.

-Archery?! - "No way!" Stacie's eyes sparkled with excitement as she admired the slick glint of its curved limbs having a hard time keeping her inner child in check. - It's beautiful!

"She's eager. She seems to like the notion of learning archery." Noted Ivar, as he glanced at her sparkling with ecstasy, eyes. "Heh, good. I chose well then." The corner of his mouth slightly curved upwards with satisfaction.

-Does it shoot laser arrows too? - Asked Stacie, practically drooling over it, her hands itching to reach out for it. - Can I hold it, please? - She couldn't help it and peer at Ivar with puppy-eyes.

-No, this is a basic recurve bow for beginners. It shoots regular arrows. - He replied as he took them out of the case along with few other items Stacie had no clue what they were. - Patience. You'll get to hold it to your heart's content soon enough. This bow was my favorite when I first began to train in archery in my youth days. It's lightweight and sturdy with a comfortable grip and a perfect size for someone like you.

-Wait, this was yours?! - Gaped Stacie at him with surprise.

-Yes. - He answered as he arranged the gear on the table.

-Wow! How old were you, when you started training? - Asked Stacie curiously, running her finger over the shining surface of the bow, unable to resist. "I can't believe this is going to be mine. ...Is it going to be mime? Is he planning to give this to me then?" She wondered with thrill. "So pretty..."