SHIFT | 18

Axle:

Axle:

Amira was missing.

Gone.

Not even her scent was lingering in the room where she had been sleeping. Where she should have been. Where I left her. 

My rage was barely under control, clawing at the edges of my mind, desperate to take control and find her. Protect her. 

It was what I was meant to do, and so far I had done a pretty shit job of it. I didn't even a hunch as to where she might have gone, hell how she even left. My territory is patrolled constantly, and aside from that, the goddamn Council was crawling all over my land like a bunch of sugar ants.

And no one saw anything.

I had been in her room only minutes before. Some idiot at the border had gotten his leg stuck in a bear trap and I had no choice but to go check it out as a formality. We weren't under attack, my pack members were just a bunch of idiots.

"Axle-"

"Whatever it is I don't need to hear it," Emma shrunk back in the doorway at my rough tone which succeded in making me feel like a total asshole. It was fairly obvious I was just barely clinging to a small amount of control that was rapidly slipping away from me.

"I think you do," Cara pushed past Emma with that shimmering chain loosely swaying from her fingertips.

I wanted to rip it to pieces.

Rip that piece of shit Eon into a stack of hybrid confetti.

Amira was missing, and all we were doing was sitting around, not looking for her, not even having the slightest of clues pointing us in her direction.

If she was lost, we were even more so.

I hadn't even known that mystery of a human for that long and already my judgment was clouded by her. Mates were something I had always considered pointless, and now it was fairly obvious they were dangerous too. She was my whole world now though, beautiful like a thousand wildflowers and suffocating in the rare good kind of way. 

"You can still feel her, yes?" Cara and Crion settled themselves on the couch across from me, my fingers dug into the fabric of my chair. What sort of fucking question-

"Yes," I bit out. "Yes, I can still feel her," it was sort of like a thread between the two of us. It was weak, considering our connection was new and our bonding hadn't been completed. The closest we'd gotten to even begin the unification process was that kiss last night.

The one that made her double over in pain, and probably paid a part in her disappearance?

Ah yes, that one.

Regardless, the connection was notably frail and faint, but it was still there. I prayed to the Gods I never had to feel it severed.

Feeling it meant she was still alive. Could be alive anywhere on Earth – but still alive.

"Well that's a good sign," I ground my teeth together at Cara's words. The Council's presence here was nothing comforting, and as lost as I knew that Amira had felt, I didn't know much more than she had. Cara claimed the secrecy was in everyone's best interest, but I highly doubted that.

Maybe even just a little bit of transparency could have eased some of this situation.

Gods I needed a smoke.

"It is," I reached into my front pocket to grab a cigarette, Cara's eyes followed my movements with a small frown. The resemblance between her and Amira was uncanny. The two were remarkably similar, aside from the fact that Amira was human and Cara was so obviously not.

They smelled like family, but Cara dripped with the smell of citrus, the scent of power, as did the rest of The Council.

"Are we just going to sit here and wallow in tension, or are you going to tell us where Amira is?" Emma finally snapped and slammed the office door behind her. Part of me was proud, Emma was the equivalent of a doormat in most situations. 

The other part of me was annoyed.

I wanted to be the one who snapped at them.

"Well, we don't know where she is," I was seething, but Crion kept speaking without taking his eyes off of me. "But we know how she left, and with who."

I took in a long drag, feeling my tension ease up a minuscule amount.

"Someone took her," I was going to kill them. Or at least I would try. She was still healing, mentally and physically. That girl was in way over her head.

"We could sense the magic all over the room. There's only one person on our radar who has the ability to perform what happened and keep off our radar at the same time," Cara began slowly.

"We don't need a whole fucking preamble, who the hell took my mate," I snarled, my patience had run thin and my fingers itched to release their claws. It had been a good while since I'd fully shifted, considering we were all a tad preoccupied.

If it wouldn't be treason to rip Cara and Crion to shreds, I would have done it ages ago.

"Leaflet."

"Who.. who the hell is named Leaflet."

"A powerful witch, and..." Cara trailed off. I, still momentarily caught up on the fact that this almighty witch was named Leaflet, took a second to catch the conflicting feelings going across both Council member's faces.

"And?" Emma asked before I could, earning a sharp glare from me. This was my conversation, my mate, and my questions.

"And.. we thought she was dead. Around a year dead in fact," I stilled. Was everything around Amira dead, dying, or death-related? The girl herself was still legally dead in her world.

"Killed actually," Crion continued for Cara and my eyes flickered between the two of them. Nope, not joking. Dead serious. Pardon the pun.

"Killed by who?" I knew the answer, everything bad that was happening revolved around that little cockroach.

"Eon."

I wanted to shake things up with some Axle POV for a bit :) The next chapter will probs be back to *normal*

Hope you liked it!!