PAST | 3

"Cara?"

"Cara?"

She didn't even look up at me, just kept scribbling away in the tattered little notebook that she had had for as long as I could remember.

It was the fancy kind, nice and leather-bound – I think that daddy had given it to her for her birthday before they left, so I understood her attachment, but I did need her attention rather urgently.

"Cara–"

"Gods, what do you want, Amira?" I took a step back when her head shot up to look at me for the first name. The annoyance she held towards me was as clear as glass and it almost made me feel bad for needing her. My mouth opened and closed like a fish, and she scoffed before dropping her attention back to the book. She was always so rude.

She was rude even before all of this, but over the past few months, it had only gotten so much worse.

"I... uhm. I hurt my arm real bad – I dunno what to...what to do..." I trailed off, finally allowing myself to look at the deep gash in my arm for more than a few seconds.

The knife had been sharp, so sharp that it barely even hurt so it had been easier to pretend that none of it was happening. Now though, it burned something awful.

Pain tingled up my arm and was only spreading as more blood dripped and slid down my arm. The toilet paper I had stolen from the bathroom to sloppily wrap around it a few times in an effort to make it better was doing little to help. Really, it looked like it was doing more harm than good. The girls who had done it just cackled as I tried, and once they got bored of laughing I decided to give up my efforts as well and run off in search of my sister.

But now that I was here I was regretting it. Cara was mean. Gods I missed mommy and daddy. Mommy would scold Cara, and Daddy would fix up my arm. But they weren't here, and it was just me and her, with her looking at me with such distaste I could almost taste it.

Cara looked back towards me, quickly scanning me before locking in on the large cut. She muttered under her breath with an eye-roll before closing the book and hopping down from the desk.

"Who did this?" I shrugged in response, watching as she tenderly grabbed my arm and inspected it.

"Just some girls," I mumbled.

She told me to keep still as she grabbed a water bottle off of her desk and moved back over to me. She poured until the bottle was empty and the water dribbled down to the floor with a pinkish tint.

I hoped it wouldn't stain the floor, then we'd both be in real big trouble.

"This definitely needs stitches..." She was talking mostly to herself at that point, and I rapidly shook my head. I hated needles, so really stitches aren't even necessary. She eyed my reaction and looked at a box she had haphazardly yanked out from under her bed.