FAMILY | 7

The Council was set to arrive early tomorrow and to say I was absolutely terrified about what that would bring was an understatement

The Council was set to arrive early tomorrow and to say I was absolutely terrified about what that would bring was an understatement. At least they weren't arriving today. 

Today my head ached and all I had were spotty memories of the drinking adventure from last night on the floor of my room. The faint smell of smoke was all that lingered when I woke up and if it wasn't for the bottle still sitting beneath my bed I would almost argue that it hadn't even happened. It all seemed so absurd, getting drunk, spilling our guts to the other...

My heart soared at the fact that Axle was speaking to me again, he had even left a small note (paired with a painkiller), but it wasn't anything other than to warn me that this whole situation might go down south fast. Which, in my opinion, was probably something worth talking about in person and not via parchment, but maybe he was busy. Leading his cult or whatever.

Once again, no one denied the cult allegations.

Unsurprisingly, his note did little to ease my concerns over the whole situation. And concerns was the nice way of putting it, fears and terrors were far more accurate. 

Every little thing put me on edge as I paced around my room. The ticking of the clock made me take out its batteries the second I set the note down. The wind against the thick glass window had me covering my face with a pillow to try and mute the noise. The gentle hum of the airconditioner was making me want to go down and rip the AC system from its wiring. It was a sensory overload from all fronts, external and internal.

Everything around me triggered flashes of memories that didn't make sense on their own, but each time I reached for them I got nothing in return. Like a dog chasing its tail, or a miner chasing gold.

If my sister was really traveling with The Council, would that even be a good thing? I wanted to believe that it would be, but every part of me screamed that she was evil. Eon said she was an evil, terrible, pest that needed to be wiped out. That we have to kill her before she kills us.

When I first woke up here, I didn't feel anything. I didn't remember anything. Slowly but surely I was powering back on, and I didn't like any of the thoughts or tricky feelings that were coming with it.

I wanted to scream, and scream, and scream until my throat was raw and I would finally get some reprieve from it all. I didn't want to be so full of self-pity and misery, why anyone would want to spend any sort of time with me was beyond my scope of reasoning. I'm like a walking buzzkill.

"I think we should go to town," Emma said all of a sudden, my head snapped up to her in momentary shock. I didn't even know she had been in the room. "You're turning into a recluse, you and my brother both. So, I think we should go to town."

"How do you know I'm not a recluse?" She squinted her eyes at me.

"Shut up."

Emma tossed a purple sweater and a pair of jeans onto the bed and my mood immediately brightened at the change of clothes –and it didn't hurt that the sweater was purple. Such a good color.