Chapter 24.

UWA

Some of the female staff have been adjusting their clothes since I walked into the conference room.

"I heared he is fine!" I hear one of the ladies say, elongating the fine part to lay more emphasis.

"Yes. And cute too. Very." Another one says.

Soon enough, the other senior level staff enter the board room with a new face.

"Good morning, all. Like we all know, Mutuma has gone back to Uganda to settle down. In that light, let me formally introduce you all to Kayode Adelaja, the new CTO that will be taking his place." Deji says, smiling.

This guy is a correct definition of Yoruba Demon. Beard gang, fine face, pink lips. Little wonders all the ladies are dying for him and I think I am about to join that ship too.

My eyes meet his and he winks at me. A small one that I would have missed if I was not looking well. Thank God I can blush without pink stains being obvious on my face.

This is interesting because just like these other ladies, I am tripping and I am not ashamed of it. But Uwa, what happened to staying off men? Please, that will sort itself out, I shrug carelessly.

"Hi, guys." He says. His voice too, it is so awesome.

"I am honored to work in a fine establishment such as this and to work with this staff strength. Feel free to reach out when the need arises. I look forward to working with all of you." When he said the last part, his eyes lingers on me for a while before focusing them somewhere else.

Deji signals to me to follow them as they exit the conference room, leaving everyone to commence their work for the day.

"What's my schedule today?" He asks.

"You have a meeting with Greenwood by 9am, then another one with Bayther by 12pm all in the office premises." I state to him.

"Alright. Coffee, please." He states, smiling.

"Yes, Sir." I reply him and head for the coffee machine to prepare morning coffee for the both of us.

•••••

Today's work was not stressful at all. Had just 2 meetings and the remaining of my work was done in my work space.

"So, you mean you have no life apart from work?" Deji asks me. We are currently in his car and for some unknown reason, this man offered to drive me home.

"I do." He rolls his eyes at what I say.

"I hang out with Nimi on some weekends." I state in addition.

"Nimi, work, boring life." He shrugs as he speaks, making the bend that leads us to my apartment.

"We are here. Take care of yourself." He says.

"Do you care to come in? Maybe have a drink?" I ask. Where did that come from?

"Ah. I have somewhere to be now." He states. Ouch, way to go. Why did I even say that in the first place?

"But on a second thought, sure. Let me just make a call." He says and I get down from the car to give him privacy.

"Hello, Shalewa..." I hear him say and the rest of the conversation is history. He joins me by the door and together, we enter the house.

"Welcome. Please, sit." He walks into the house, dominating the place with his bulky frame. I go into the kitchen to fetch two glass cups and a pack of Chi Berry Blast.

"Thank you." He says, taking the glass cup from my hand. I switch on the channel to African Magic where Living in Bondage is just about to start showing. We start watching the movie in silence, sipping the contents of our cups, occassionally reaching out for a refill.

"So, why were you working as a masseuse?" He asks me abruptly.

"You see, I had no other option. It was either that or I remained jobless. The lesser evil thing came into play and I had to pick being a masseuse." I shrug.

"You are actually good at it. Has anyone told you that?" He says.

"Yeah, some customers back at Ihe's place." I say.

"Keep being full of yourself." He smirks as he speaks. His hand touches the drink pack and he shakes it, revealing that it is now empty.

"My bad. I am hungry. I will take my leave now." He states, standing up to leave. This is his first time coming to my house since his attempts at being a nice boss. Will it be cool for him to leave without me giving him something to eat?

Do you look like his cook? Shey you have already given him juice? One part of my head says.

But juice is not food, it does not make sense, though. Don't fall mumcee's hand. Another part says. Hmmm, my mom taught me to always be nice and kind to visitors, I know that. However, I think I was kind enough to offer him something to drink and now that I think about it, I did that because he brought me home.

"You should come lock the door." He says.

"You could stay, I can prepare something." I say to him. Since when did I start acting on impulse, dear Lord? This is crazy.

"Thank you. I will just get take out from one of these restaurants near by before heading home." He says, declining my offer.

"I insist." I say to him. He looks at me in the eyes, making me uncomfortable. I could not hold the gaze with him so I turn my face.

"Okay." That is his short reply. He walks back to the sofa, taking off his suit jacket before resuming his position back on it.

"I'll be right back." I head into the kitchen and take out the egusi soup I had in the fridge, leaving it on the kitchen slab to defrost.

Quickly, I prepare semo, extra careful so that there will be no lumps. You know that nervous feeling when someone is tasting your food for the first time? I guess that is what is kicking in me right now. I warm up the soup and serve the food, taking it to the dinning area.

"Food is ready." I say to alert Deji's attention but he does not move. The man is sleeping. He must be really exhausted. I tap him on him shoulders to wake him up.

"Food is ready, Deji." I say to him.

"How is it?" I ask as he swallows the first ball of Semo.

"Wow, this is amazing, Uwa. I could swear it was a pro that made this. Uwa, your hands are on fire!" He says. This man, burst my brain o. Please, how many times is a girl allowed to blush for a day.

"Thank you." I reply simply, not letting out my excitement. Thanks to my mom for making sure she chased me to the kitchen even on days when I always wanted to prove stubborn.

After eating, I clear up the plates and accompany him to the door.

"Thanks for the food." He smiles as we arrive at the door.

"You are welcome. It was nothing." I say, shrugging it off.

"You think so, huh?" He says and I nod in response.

"Go out with me." He blurts out, looking uncertain.

"Uhm. I.. I.." Why am I stuttering? This man has been making me act up recently.

"I will give it a thought and get back to you, please." I say to him.

"Thank you." He says.