A new beginning

When the puff of smoke cleared, a former Changeling, cradling a small bag gave the ancient, armor-clad wizard next to him a stern look. "Don't touch anything," Walter instructed.

Merlin's annoyance at being drafted as mere transport morphed into genuine surprise, then sympathy when he saw the meticulous lines of bones, visible in the soft emerald glow of his staff.

Walter started through the field of bones, the bag still nestled in his arms. He stopped just past the first line of remains, head bowed, eyes falling shut as he considered where to lay this sad soul to rest.

Something drew him farther to the left, toward the edge of the room. Then he saw it – the remains of a female Changeling, a white scarf still draped around her neck. Walter knelt beside the bones and examined the scarf. On it, two initials were embroidered. "R.P." he breathed. Rosa Pederson!

Tucked into Walter's bag was another white scarf, this one marked in the same manner, "A.D." Alberto Daumier.

Walter carefully set the bag down and withdrew Alberto's bones one by one, reassembling them next to Rosa's.

Merlin looked on silently, moving closer to observe.

When Walter finished, he took the two Changelings' hands and laid one over the other's. "We can go now..." he said.

Merlin hesitated, then traversed the field of bones not disturbing one with his crossing. He stood next to Walter and held out a single white rose. Formed with magic, its bloom would never fade. The old wizard laid the flower on the pair's entwined hands.

Walter gave Merlin a long look. Instead of his usual nonchalance, the old man's face was tired, betraying his years.

"Those two..." Merlin's eyes softened. "They loved each other, didn't they?"

"Very much." Walter nodded.

Merlin sighed heavily. "And all this because I refused to recognize the evil in my apprentice. I didn't stop her – didn't even try to before it was too late." He stared at the laid out remains. "I allowed her to run loose, to commit terrible acts, toy with so many lives. I swore I would do whatever it took to right my wrongs, no matter how heartless it made me look. I wanted to ensure Morgana couldn't inflict more suffering. But, it's easy to make such a promise after the fact. After she was imprisoned, the suffering drew on another thousand years because I didn't stop her when this all began. I'm sorry..."

Walter felt genuine sympathy for the wizard. "It doesn't suit you to grovel, Merlin," he muttered. "The past is done. It cannot be changed. But I've learned the past doesn't have to dictate the future. I believed there was another way – a better one. I followed it, and I don't regret one moment of that decision. How can I? The man I was yesterday doesn't have to determine what kind of man I am today or will be tomorrow."

Merlin smirked. "You people keep astounding me. Jim... Mother of Jim, the trolls in Trollmarket." He looked over at Walter. "Even you. After all this, you can still feel such a simple emotion and act with pure intentions – something I am not capable of doing anymore. Each time I see it, I feel like I witness a miracle."

"It sounds to me like you're more sentimental that you'd like to admit," Walter commented.

The old wizard smiled and held up a hand. "We shall leave now. I'll drop you off with your family."

In a flash of light, Walter stood in front of the familiar door to Barbara's house – his and Barbara's house.

Merlin was gone.

Walter stared at the door, thinking about the other Changeling he'd just entombed. Letting out a long sigh, he opened the door and stepped inside.