Differences

Walter couldn't say he particularly cared for his current situation. He was in Barbara's house, but she wasn't home. While she worked, he was left alone with his thoughts.

It was bright and sunny outside, at least, he thought it was from what he could gather by staring at the closed drapes.

He felt trapped, stuck in the house. Walter groaned. What he wouldn't give for the ability to walk in the sunlight right now. Being confined was a feeling he despised.

After he sealed off the Janus Order headquarters, Barbara insisted he rest, and he had, but he could only rest for so long.

His next course of action was to plan their route through Europe. He already had a working itinerary for their first foray abroad. The resources left behind by the Janus Order were serving him well. He'd already made a fake passport for Barbara, in fact, he'd made several to hide their route and her identity. He still had access to all the Order's finances – quite a sum – and transferring funds to his personal account was simple.

Financially, there were set for quite some time. Aside from planning, there wasn't much Walter could do. He sat at the table and groaned, frustrated.

Boredom wasn't something he was used to. For as long as he could remember, he'd always had a role to play – something he had to do. Now... there was nothing. He looked at his green, stony hands, then caught his reflection in one of Barbara's picture frames. The glass only showed part of his face, and his shining eyes stared back at him.

This was his true form. Walter wasn't human – had never been human to begin with. He narrowed his eyes at his own face and shook his head.

Walter closed his eyes and tried to change, a motion once so natural for him, like flexing a muscle. Nothing happened.

His voice remained gruff, his body still stone. Horns still sprouted from his head. He hissed in annoyance and flung a chair at the wall. With a groan, he scolded himself for losing his temper.

He knew this day would come. Jim declared long ago that was going to save the familiars. Walter had accepted that. So why then did he still try to change back to his human form? He knew it was impossible.

Trolls were so much more primitive than humans, and he had to constantly fight those urges. He wanted nothing more than to tear every piece of furniture in the house to sheds and devour several of the appliances.

What was he doing here? He clamped his eyes shut and took a breath. He reminded himself he was here to protect Barbara. They couldn't be together, not anymore, but he could keep her safe. He couldn't be her lover, but he could be her guardian, and that would have to be enough. It was far more than he deserved.

His phone, sitting atop the table, vibrated. Walter glanced at it, surprised to see Jim's name. He shrugged and picked up the call. "Ah, Young Atlas. How may I be of service?"

There was an odd quiet in the other end.

"Jim?" Walter asked.

"Ah... I... I'm sorry," Jim replied hesitantly.

Walter sighed. "Come now, what is it Know-it-all-six-eyes doesn't know this time?"

"That's not it," Jim said. "It's that – I just – Do you have time to talk?" he asked.

Walter stopped, surprised. He frowned, wondering what this was all about. Was it Barbara? Probably. What else could it be? Something about ancient artifacts and curses, perhaps.

"I have time," Walter replied, standing and taking a few steps toward the draped windows. "What is it?"

Silence again.