The gift

Jim smiled at his phone as he swiped through his mom's countless selfies. Each picture was from a different place. Some she'd taken in cities, others in small villages, and still more in the middle of the forest or out in a field.

Sometimes Jim could spot Walter in the background. In some cases, it looked like his mother tried to catch the changeling in the picture on purpose. At times, Jim could tell Walter knew it as he glared at the camera, dismay on his face.

"She sure seems happy," Claire commented, looking over Jim's shoulder.

"Yeah. Mom always wanted to see more of the world." Jim looked through more pictures. "I'm happy for her; she deserves this. For as long as I can remember, the only two things she had time for were working and looking after me." Jim blinked in surprise as the phone vibrated. Another picture popped up in his messages. This one was of his mom eating a French croissant. The message explained she was in a small village just inside the border of France.

Jim chuckled. She really did seem happy. With crumbs dotting her mouth, she grinned at the camera.

"Let's send a picture back!" Claire cheered as she leaned her head on Jim's shoulder, so their faces were right next to each other.

Jim grinned as he held up the phone. When the camera was correctly positioned, he and Claire yelled, "Say cheese!"

Barbara checked her phone. She smiled warmly at the picture Jim sent back to her. He and Claire looked happy. It was always a relief to get a picture like this. Every time Barbara received one it put her mind at ease. Her son's transformation wasn't easy for him, not to mention the move to New Jersey, among other things. She was glad to know he was doing well, despite everything.

She was still looking at the picture when she returned to the car later.

This was their fourth rental, a dark blue BMW minivan. All the rentals were minivans – purposefully.

Barbara strolled up to the van and got into the driver's seat. She looked back at Walter, sitting quietly in the back, his nose buried in one of the books she'd gotten him. "Okay. I dropped off another baby and got my lunch. We're ready to go."

"I took the liberty of putting the coordinates into the GPS," Walter said, not even looking up from his book.

"Okay then." Barbara didn't ask where they were going as she started up the car.

She'd driven more on this trip than she could ever remember driving in such a short space of time. Albeit, the journeys were scenic and often short. A few times they'd used a Gyre to skip countries – Walter had said something about trying to make it more difficult for anyone to spot a pattern in their behavior.

Barbara wasn't worried. It would be difficult to link a sudden influx of babies delivered to orphanages in England with a slew of them showing up in Australia only a day later. A secret, underground network of magic tunnels was such a useful thing.

Barbara hummed to herself as she drove through the French countryside, breathing deeply as she took in the scenery. As the sun began to set she was puzzled to see they hadn't reached a city yet.

"Walt?" she called back over her shoulder. "Which city are we going to tonight? Is it far?"

"We won't reach a city tonight," Walter replied.

"What?" Barbara asked. "But what about the drop-off?"

"There won't be a drop-off tonight either," Walter said.

Barbara was confused. This didn't make sense. There was always at least one drop-off. Walter planned this out very efficiently. How could there be a night with no drop-off?

"Is something wrong?" Barbara asked. "Walter, please don't tell me we're running from trouble. I swear, if you've been keeping something from me –"

"You wanted to see a vineyard, didn't you?" Walter stopped her midsentence. "I just thought you deserved a break. If we make it to the vineyard tonight, you can have a look at it. Then tomorrow morning, you can go on a tour, taste some of the wine, and get some rest."

"I can't drink and drive!" Barbara exclaimed.

"Which is why I suggested that you rest tomorrow," Walter countered. He looked at her in the rearview mirror, his eyes shining a soft yellow. "This place has a most excellent restaurant, with wines specifically selected to complement the food. You can't pass up this opportunity, Barbara."

"Awww." Barbara smiled, looking back at him in the mirror. "That's so sweet. You really thought of me."

Walter looked away sheepishly. Barbara chuckled at him.

"I... already reserved table and a tour for your current alias, Sarah Gilbert," Walter said. "And I paid for it in advance."

"Walt..." Barbara breathed. "That's... that's too much. I don't even know what to say," she said, feeling overwhelmed.

You don't need to say anything. You deserve it," Walter replied.

"Thank you." She sighed and relaxed in her seat, smiling, but then her smile faltered.

"Are you alright?" Walter asked.

"It's so nice of you," Barbara replied. "I just... I wish you could come with me. I – what I meant is –"

Walter let out a deep sigh. "I wish that too..."

"I feel awful that you're stuck in an old car all day when there are so many amazing things out there to see and do," she said.

"Don't worry, Barbara. I've already travelled the world. At my age, I've seen things most humans couldn't even comprehend. I don't have any particular urge to see these cities."

"I forget how old you are sometimes..." She turned her eyes back to the road. "But I still wish..." She sighed again.

"Please, try to have a good day tomorrow," Walter said.

"Alright." Barbara sped up as the speed limit changed. Everything she'd seen was so amazing, but it would all have been so much better if she could have seen it with Walter. She supposed she should keep his words in mind. This was not a vacation; it was a mission. They didn't have time to play tourists anyway... Still it was a shame. Really... really a shame.