Peace

It was kind of funny, Barbara reflected, how you don't notice some things until they're gone.

She hadn't realized how much she and Walter used to talk, how easily they would slip into conversation, or how she would always feel so calm and at ease when he told her about the countries they were traveling through – their history and traditions. And even though she only half-listened sometimes, it was still nice to have his company and feel his presence.

Now, Barbara could sense Walter retreating into himself. He'd been so quiet since the encounter with his fellow changeling in Prague.

A few other things had changed too. Walter now allowed Barbara to buy his food. When he asked for red meat, she knew what he meant. The more he ate, the faster he healed, but even though he let her bring his food to him, Walter would only eat it when she wasn't around.

Two days after Barbara found Walter again they made it to a Gyre's station and skipped from Europe back to North America, stopping when they reached Canada.

When they arrived, Barbara decided to call Jim so she could talk with Blinky. The foremost question she had for him was what a troll needed to be able to heal. Blinky told her the same things Walter had – magic drawn from the Heartstone, plenty of food, and rest.

When she hung up, Barbara suggested they head back to New Jersey, so Walter could use the Heartstone's magic. Walter said it wasn't necessary, so Barbara dropped the subject. She suspected he didn't want to go back to Trollmarket now because he didn't have it in him to discuss everything that happened – at least, not any more than he already had.

As they travelled through Canada, Barbara noticed a change in Walter. Instead of leaving the cradle stone in its bag, or sitting safely secured on the floor, he would take it out while he slept, wrapping a protective arm around it. As the number of children contained in its amber walls diminished, she noticed Walter becoming more and more attached to it.

The sight warmed her heart. She would often glance in the rear-view mirror and catch a glimpse of Walter, asleep on the folded-down back seats, wrapped around the cradle stone. Sometimes she could spot a sleeping Emil curled up as close to Walter as he could get while still inside the stone.

From what Barbara had learned, from Blinky and a few other sources, trolls were extremely loyal and protective of their children – even more so than humans. Familial and tribal bonds were a sacred thing to them.

The cradle stone was almost empty now. To think nearly a year had passed, and despite everything, they'd kept their schedule. It was a relief to know they would make the cutoff date on time.

Seeing so much of the world was wonderful, but Barbara was tired. She looked forward to going home and starting a normal day again. Hopefully, ending their journey would give Walter some much-needed rest.

It was incredible to her. All her life Barbara lived seeing only a few tiny pieces of the US. Now she'd seen over half the world. It was a dream come true for her; her heart was full, and she was so glad she'd come on this adventure.

Tonight, Barbara stopped between two cities, out in the middle of one of the vast Canadian forests.

Trees towered all around as she parked the van near the edge of a small clearing. Walter took the opportunity to get out and stretch his legs, but he didn't venture too far. Ever since the incident in Prague Walter made sure he was always within earshot of her.

Barbara followed Walter as he trekked out to the other side of the clearing and sat down, leaning up against a giant oak. He stared up into the sky.