Mothers instinct

The daylight hours dragged by for Walter – stuck in the car. Even if it wasn't for the sun's burning rays, he couldn't go out, lest he be seen.

The back seats were folded down, so he sprawled out on top of them. The tinted windows blocked out much of the sun, and the prying eyes of other drivers and passing pedestrians.

Before Barbara left this morning, she'd realized Walter would have to remain in the car. She'd been hesitant to go out sightseeing, but Walter insisted she go.

Even though he didn't begrudge Barbara the opportunity to see what Europe had to offer, he itched to be able to get out of the car. Night couldn't come soon enough.

When the sun began to set, Barbara returned, carrying a Chinese take-out box and a bag filled with her purchases.

Barbara crawled into the vehicle through the trunk hatch. She sat on the floor, legs crossed before shutting the back door. Walter eyed the take-out box. "And here I thought you were going to try the local cuisine," he commented.

"I did," Barbara replied. "And it was very exciting... perhaps a bit too exciting. I admit it – I wanted something I actually recognized right now." She popped open the box and glanced up at Walter. "I... thought about getting you one too, but..."

"Don't worry about it. I couldn't eat it anyway, but thank you for the thought," Walter said.

"Are you going to be okay?" Barbara asked. "I mean, you haven't eaten since we left."

Walter waved her off. "Trolls don't need to eat as often as humans. I'll make sure to cover my own needs," he assured.

"Alright. I'll hold you to that." She fished a plastic bag out of her purchases. "So, I couldn't get you food, but I did get you this." Barbara handed him the bag.

Walter withdrew the contents. Five different books, large ones, all fairly worn. He could only guess Barbara found them at a second-hand store or some similar establishment.

"You've been sitting in here all day with nothing to occupy you. The least I could do was give you something to pass the time."

"Oh." Walter smiled lightly as he examined the books. "Ah, 'The Rise and Fall of Rome.' Fascinating history." He nodded as he looked at another title. "'Moby Dick'?" he questioned.

"I picked up a bit of everything." Barbara shrugged. "Well, from what I could find in English. Most of the books were in Norwegian," she sighed.

"I actually quite like this book," Walt admitted looking at the front cover of "Moby Dick." "A man's futile obsession leading him to madness... I feel like there's a warning in there somewhere."

Barbara smirked.

"Thank you. These will be quite helpful in keeping me occupied," he said.

"When you've finished them, and we have to move on foot again, we can leave them for someone else to find." Barbara smiled.

"Make sure to get some sleep tonight," Walter instructed, tucking the books away. "I'll make the deliveries. You be sure you're rested for tomorrow."

"Oh." Barbara blinked. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" she asked. "Going out into the city."

"I won't let anyone see me," Walter assured. "I can move at a far higher speed than a human, and my senses are much keener. And, as I said, you need to be rested for tomorrow. We'll be heading for the next city."

"Well, I must admit I am exhausted." Barbara yawned, covering her mouth with her hand.

"No wonder. You've been up all night and all day," Walter pointed out. "I suggest you try to sleep once you've finished eating. I need to wait a few more hours before beginning the deliveries."