Reconsiliation

Walter was no stranger to awkward situations, but this one... He was hard pressed to think of an instance more awkward than this.

Here they were, he and Jim. The teen's frustrations now ebbed as they sat with their backs against the arena wall. To Walter's relief, the fight did not involve anything life-threatening.

They avoided each other's gaze, both pretending to be fascinated by the broken training equipment strewn around the arena.

Eternal seconds ticked by. Then Walter broke the silence. "I assume you're feeling better now?"

"Yeah," Jim muttered.

"It's normal for a troll to need to satisfy these urges, you know. It's nothing to be ashamed off," Walter assured.

Still, Jim didn't look at him, but Walter knew Jim's troll urges weren't what this was about. They needed to talk, but neither knew what to say.

Walter glanced over at Jim and opened his mouth to speak but couldn't find the right words. He cleared his throat. "Jim."

"I don't want to talk to you." Jim crossed his arms like the moody teenager he was.

"Listen. I know this isn't easy for you – my marriage proposal to Barbara, I mean," Walter offered.

"Not easy?" Jim glared at Walter. "That's the worst understatement in history, Strickler! The guy who tried to kill me is marrying my mom!" Jim fumed. "Then you're just going to go home to Arcadia and raise another son – live happily ever after with your perfect little family. Without me!" He threw up his arms.

Walter frowned as he listened to Jim's words, then he saw the real root of the young man's frustrations. "Jim... you cannot be replaced. You know that, right? Your mother loves you more than anything. She won't just forget you – she can't."

The words hit their mark and Jim sucked in a hard breath.

"I know that," Jim said defensively. "I just... Taking care of Mom is my job!" He jumped to his feet. "Then you stepped in, and – You can't do that!" he bellowed. "So, you're going to move in with her?!"

"That is what married couples do, isn't it?" Walter asked.

"You can't just do that!" Jim yelled again. "So, you're going to cook all her food too? Do you even know what she likes to eat?"

"I am fairly familiar with Barbara's tastes by now," Walter replied.

"Well... That –" Jim grasped for another objection. "A baby – that's a huge thing. Can you handle that?" he asked. "I mean, seriously, you're the world leader of a secret organization. You're this fearsome warrior, not... a house dad!"

Jim's reasons grew more outlandish after that, and even Jim realized he was reaching.

"Will my running away from this without a word, like a certain other husband make your mother happy?" Walter asked with lifted eyebrow.

Jim started to protest, then looked away.

"Jim." Walter stood up. "I just want to make her happy. Isn't that what you want too?"

"Yes..." Jim admitted, eyes still averted. "And she looks really happy right now. I know I should be happy for her, but I just..." He turned back to Walter. "I'm a terrible son, aren't I? What kind of kid doesn't want his own mom to be happy? She... doesn't need me anymore, and that's... a good thing, I guess. But –" He swallowed hard, eyes welling up with tears.

"You're wrong, Jim," Walter said.

Jim stared at him.

"Barbara will always need you. You're her son, and she needs your support. You're not being replaced – far from it. Her family is not being split in two, Jim. It's being extended. When you formed your bond with Blinkous – when you trained with him, you didn't replace your mother, you gained a father. And Barbara isn't replacing you, she's gaining another child, and you're gaining a brother – one who will need your protection... A form of protection I will not be able to give once this is over. Who knows what the future will bring?"