Friendly fight?

Walter eyed the gigantic troll in front of him. The Krubera circled the Trollmarket fighting arena. There were two major differences about Trollmarket now that everyone was gone. Without the power of the Heartstone, it was dark, and it was frigidly cold – much too cold for a human.

Lit torches gave off enough light for Walter and AAARRRGGHH! to see by, but the darkness still enveloped over half of the arena. But lack of light wasn't a real problem. AAARRRGGHH! and Walter's troll eyes were designed for darkness.

Walter took off his cape and bladed collar, dropping it to one side. He stretched his exposed wings, and then folded them up, taking a few steps toward AAARRRGGHH!. "I suggest you satisfy your urges now; we won't be able to do this again for some time."

"No worries," AAARRRGGHH! replied.

This was the fifth or sixth time they'd done this, and AAARRRGGHH! had no inhibitions about going all out. In fact, he might even have enjoyed beating on the troll that threatened him and his friends only a short while ago.

This was their last time for a while. Tomorrow, Walter and Barbara would leave to begin their journey, heading for Europe, cradle stone in tow. The hospital granted Barbara's request for a one-year leave of absence. Walter intended for them to use that time as efficiently as possible.

"You not hold back too," AAARRRGGHH! insisted. "Not hurt Jim's mom."

"Oh, I'll be fine," Walter brushed him off. "I'll be out making myself useful. You're the one who'll be cooped up here, " Walter said. "Besides, if you think I'd ever hurt Barbara you really are an idiot."

AAARRRGGHH! snorted.

Walter beckoned the other troll to make the first move. "Come then."

With a thunderous stomp, AAARRRGGHH! roared and charged Walter on all fours. The changeling leapt up into the air, landing behind AAARRRGGHH!. The Krubera quickly changed direction and lunged for Walter with a stony fist. Walter grabbed the oncoming punch and twisted around, only to collide with AAARRRGGHH!'s other fist.

Walter flew backward, landing deftly on his feet. With a roar, he jumped back into the fight.

It was hard to describe these fights they had. It was a necessity for both trolls, however, the line between friendly fight and cold-blooded brawl was one that often blurred.

It was normal for trolls to fight each other or play games that involved mostly fighting. They would laugh happily as they beat each other up, but rarely would they get hurt, and their mood was always good.

That was another difference between ordinary trolls and changelings. Changelings didn't fight for fun. They only knew how to fight with viciousness. When they had to fight amongst themselves it was never for fun. It was brutal. Walt didn't even know how to fight for fun; he'd only ever fought for survival.

He jumped over AAARRRGGHH!, landing on the big troll's back and grabbing onto his neck as AAARRRGGHH! roared. The Krubera grabbed Walter and threw him into a wall.

The changeling slid to the ground.

AAARRRGGHH! stormed toward Walter with a roar.

Walter's glowing eyes shot opened as the blood rush took him. He darted out from under AAARRRGGHH!'s onslaught as the other troll's fist hammered into the wall, shaking the entire arena.
Walter was glad Barbara would never have to see this. Walter didn't even know how he would explain it if she were to witness such a brutal fight. AAARRRGGHH! likely felt the same way about Toby.

AAARRRGGHH! frowned, looking around for the changeling. Walter dove down from above, aimed straight for the other troll's unprotected face.

AAARRRGGHH! saw him and snatched him out of the air, using Walter's speed to send him ploughing into the floor where he rolled to a stop, groaning.