Protector

"Are you sure you're alright?" Jim asked. "I can help protect Mom!"

Walter pressed the cell a little closer to his ear.

"I can make the trip!" Jim added.

"AAARRRGGHH! has taken up residence in the basement. I don't think Alberto would dare come back into the house with AAARRRGGHH! here." Walter sighed. "There are barely any warriors left at New Trollmarket as it is. You should stay at your post, Young Atlas."

"I know, but –" Jim tried to object.

"I called you because I need to talk with Merlin," Walter cut Jim off. "Would you give him the phone, please?"

"Merlin?" Jim asked. "What do you need him for?"

"I have a question for him." Walter stood and started pacing the living room. "Please, Jim."

"Alright. Fine," Jim muttered, dissatisfied. "I'll go find him."

Walter continued to pace as he listened to Jim's footsteps echo through the phone. After what seemed like forever, a bored voice answered, "Changeling."

"Merlin," Walter greeted the old wizard, an edge of annoyance in his voice.

"The Trollhunter informs me you have a question," Merlin said, in his usual, infuriatingly nonchalant tone.

Walter rolled his eyes. "Yes. That potion you gave me – the one that turned me into a human."

"I told you there's no way back," Merlin said. "Don't blame me if you're starting to regret it."

"I'm not!" Walter bit back. "And that's not the problem! I must know – is there a chance it could wear off?"

"That's preposterous!" Merlin huffed. "My magic doesn't just wear off. Maybe some other low-rank warlock's, but not mine. Don't you' know who I am?" The wizard sounded insulted.

"Yes, I know you are," Walter replied. "But that doesn't change the fact that my eyes changed color last night, now does it? They glowed yellow – like a troll's eyes!"

"What?" For once, Merlin seemed to be genuinely surprised.

"If it's wearing off, I need to know now," Walter insisted. "I can't afford to turn back into a troll just because your potion didn't work as intended."

"What?!" This time, Merlin was both offended and angry.

With a loud bang and a puff of smoke, the wizard appeared right in front of Walter, who jumped back, startled.

Merlin glared at Walter. "My spells lack nothing!" he insisted. "You must have used it incorrectly!"

Walter hissed and hung up the phone. "At least warn me before doing something like that!" He threw the phone at Merlin. It clacked against the wizard's chest plate and bounced harmlessly to the floor.

Merlin didn't even notice. He stepped up to Walter and grabbed his chin, turning the former Changeling's head back and forth. "Looks very human to me," he commented.

Walter sneered back at him, his eyes turning yellow as he pushed Merlin away with an annoyed hiss.

Merlin raise an eyebrow at Walter. "I stand corrected. What did you do to meddle with my spell?" he challenged.

"What did I do?" Walter asked, his eyes fading back to green. "I was attacked! Then Emil –" he stopped. "Emil is my familiar," he admitted, voice quieting. "When Emil was almost taken, our bond was re-forged. Somehow," he pointed to his eyes, "this happened. I managed to gather enough strength to ignore the pain of a broken wrist, crushed hand, and two sprained ribs."