The news

Barbara was a bundle of nerves as she and Walter ventured through the tunnels leading to New Trollmarket. One moment she smiled in excitement, the next she bit her lip anxiously. She glanced down at her hand. Her stomach fluttered again as she saw her engagement ring, glittering even in the dim light.

Every time doubts about their future crowded into his mind, Walter looked down at the ring on Barbara's finger, and its presence set him at ease. He still marveled that she'd accepted his proposal, and that she wore the ring openly. On their way to New Jersey, several people asked Barbara about her fiancé. Every time she told him about another encounter, Walter was surprised to see the light in her eyes as she related the roundabout conversations.

Barbara started chewing on a nail again.

Walter put a gentle hand on her shoulder. "It's going to be alright," he assured. "Jim is a good kid – a great one, in fact."

"I know..." Barbara sighed, letting her hand fall back to her side. "It's just... such a big decision, and I want him to be a part of it. You think he'll be happy about this?" she asked.

"Hmmm?" Walter blinked thoughtfully. "Well." He looked over his shoulder, keeping his eyes away from Barbara. "That's..."

"We're here!" she gasped, racing forward through the arched entrance.

Walter sighed in relief as Barbara's attention shifted from him to New Trollmarket. He followed her through the door and out into the vast underground cavern.

"Hey, Mom!" The voice called Barbara's attention to where Jim sat across from Claire nearby. Between them lay a set of cards, dealt out appropriately for a classic game of "Go Fish."

"Jim!" Barbara screamed in delight, rushing to her son and falling on her knees beside him as she hugged him tightly. "I'm so happy to see you!" she announced joyfully.

Jim laughed, his face glad. He patted his mother's shoulder. "It's only been a few months," he pointed out.

"And you don't think that's a long time?!" Barbara asked, gaping at him in disbelief as she sat down beside her son. "Three months is forever!"

Claire grinned. "Congratulations on the successful mission."

"Thank you!" Barbara beamed back at Claire. "It was fun, but I'm so ready to go home." She let out a contented sigh.

Jim smiled. "I'm glad it went alright." He sent Walter a thankful smile.

Walter returned the smile awkwardly, knowing there was a significant chance Jim was going to regret that gesture.

As if on cue, Barbara held up her hand and exclaimed, "I've got exciting news. Look!" She showcased the ring on her finger.

Jim blinked hard at the spectacle, stunned.

"Wait a minute –" Claire gaped. "Is that... an engagement ring?!"

"Yes, it is!" Barbara gushed.

Jim stared at her, mouth hanging open.

"For real?!" Claire gasped. "Who's the guy?! No... wait." She looked up at Walter. "No way! Mr. Strickler?"

Barbara nodded and stood up, taking Walter's hand. "He asked me the day we finished our mission. I said 'yes'!"

Jim didn't move, his mouth still hung open and his eyes stared blankly. He looked like he'd been frozen in time or turned into a statue.

"Jim...?" Barbara waved a hand in front of his still face. "Sweetie, are you alright?"