End of an era

As it turned out, gathering all the remains and reassembling them in a respectful manner was an incredibly long and daunting task. There were so many of them... Skeletons lay everywhere, in every hall and corner of the lair.

Barbara did her best to keep going – to stay awake long enough to help Walter finish this enormous undertaking, but soon she was nodding off. She couldn't help it.

Walter finally ordered her to get some rest and showed her to some sleeping quarters the changelings used when visiting the Order. Thankfully, they managed to find one which was skeleton and dust free, allowing Barbara to lay down in peace.

The room, like everything else, looked quite modern with its white walls, sink, and even a television. But as with every other room in the underground labyrinth, there were no windows, which made sense since there was nothing outside to see.

"Did you often sleep here?" Barbara asked Walter.

"No, I never did," Walter replied. "I have – had an apartment in the city. The changelings who slept here usually lived in other parts of the world and were just here on a short visit."

"All over the world...? So... some of them might still be alive?" Barbara asked.

"No," Walter said, downcast. "They all gathered here to greet Gunmar, but it was a trap. Nomura, your son's friend NotEnrique, and I are the only ones left. Though I suppose that's not really so; we aren't truly changelings anymore after all – just trolls." He sighed deeply. "The age of changelings is over. That is just how it is."

"So, you really are just like any other troll?" Barbara asked.

"Well, in any practical sense, yes, I suppose." Walter nodded. "The differences now are only very minor, I am smaller than other trolls. When I die I'll still turn into dust, not stone."

"You have wings." Barbara glanced at his cape. "Do other trolls have wings?"

"Regular trolls? No." Walter shook his head. "I... was created by Morgana," he admitted. "She gave some changelings she considered her champions special abilities to aid them in serving Gunmar, and ultimately her as well."

"Created...?" Barbara asked.

"Well, I suppose a better way to look at it is this: remember the way Merlin changed Jim? He created the creature that Jim has now become. He designed him to serve a specific purpose," Walter said. "In the same way, Morgana took troll infants and changed them. She made new beings. She created me and gave me these wings," he flexed the appendages just enough to ruffle his cloak, "and the ability to form a bond with a familiar. That is not a normal troll ability. We were designed purposefully."

"I can't say I understand too much of this," Barbara said as she took a seat on the low bed. "I just know I really don't like wizards!" Barbara kicked off her dusty shoes and curled up into the bed. "Toying with other people's bodies – with their very beings? It makes me sick," she muttered.

Walt shook his head as Barbara's eyes started to sink shut. "Get some rest. I'll... Well, you know what I'll be doing."

"Yeah." Barbara nodded with a yawn. "Just give me an hour and I'll come help again."

Walter managed a smile. "Just get the rest you need." He started for the door. "Goodnight, Barbara."

"'Night," Barbara mumbled, closing her eyes as Walter quietly closed the door.

When Barbara woke up, it was to the smell of food. Her stomach rumbled as she caught a whiff of chicken. Her eyes flew open and she found the source of the smell. Sitting on the bedside table was a freshly-made chicken sandwich and a steaming cup of coffee.