Atlas

Street lights glared in through the driver's side window, and Barbara could barely sit still in her seat. She fidgeted with nervous energy. Her hands tightened on the steering wheel and she chewed her lip, staring at the back windshield of the Subaru stopped in front of their van.

She reminded herself that the wait time wasn't so strange for this area. It was already nine o'clock at night, but the traffic was still backed up. They were headed out of New York and into New Jersey. Every car in the long line ahead, every red light that kept her from moving forward was just another obstacle keeping Barbara away from her son.

She was beyond excited when Walter had suggested she should spend a few days with Jim. She'd protested, asking who would do the nightly drop-offs, but Walter assured her he could take care of the deliveries across New York City. It was such a large place with so many strange things lurking about its streets that in this case, he could manage to do it himself. Barbara hadn't objected.

"Oh, come on!" Barbara shouted as she braked, coming up behind yet another line of stopped cars. "You stupid –"

Walter elected to just tune out the rest of that particular word stream completely, ignoring the swearing, but as Barbara raised her fist to smack the horn he intervened.

"Doing that won't make traffic go any faster," Walter said, causing Barbara to stop mid-swing. "Worst-case scenario, you'll land yourself in trouble. The local police aren't likely to be understanding of such shenanigans. If you attract their attention you will have to explain why there's a troll and a magical, infant-laden stone in your backseat."

Barbara seethed, but uncurled her fist and lowered her hand to grip the wheel again. Since it looked like they were going to be stuck in traffic for some time, she turned on the cab light to look for her water bottle.

Walter knew how much Barbara wanted to see Jim again, but on the rare occassion she lost her temper the look on her face struck him as amusing. He shook his head and crept toward the front of the car, careful to keep his horns lower than the side windows. He curled up behind Barbara's seat so she could feel his weight against her back. "Hey," he said softly, reaching up to click off the light, then twisted around the seat, his head hovering right next to hers. "Jim is not going anywhere; he's waiting for you." Walter picked Barbara's phone up out of the passenger's seat. "Look." He showed her Jim's most recent text.

He knew Barbara had already read it, but she needed to see it again – remember what her son had said, "When you arrive, remember to call so Claire can come outside and show you the way in. Looking forward to seeing you so much! I have a lot of things to show you. Miss you! Love, Jim!"

Barbara sighed and took her phone out of Walter's hand, pressing it over her heart. "I know... It just – It feels like it's been forever!" she exclaimed. "Do you think he needs anything?" she asked. "Should we stop by the store and get some stuff? Do you think he has enough underwear? Socks? What about a sweater? It could be cold so deep underground –"

The touch of a clawed hand on her arm cut her off.

"I am quite confident that both Blinkous and Ms. Nuñez have made sure Jim doesn't need anything," Walter said. "They have both proven themselves to be quite protective of him. In fact, as I recall Jim has often been quite annoyed due to their constant overprotectiveness."

"Well, someone has to look after him," Barbara asserted. "That boy always gets himself into the strangest trouble. Doesn't he know how to say 'No'? Or how to just... not rush straight into a dragon's mouth?"

"Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, now does it?" Walter smirked.

"What was that?" Barbara asked.

"Nothing." Walter pulled back around the seat and leaned up against the back of it."Mrs. Atlas."

"Hey, what is that supposed to mean?" Barbara asked. "Did you just insult me?"

"No," Walter chuckled. "Atlas is one of the Titans in Greek mythology. He was tasked to carry the whole world on his shoulders – an enormous burden. But the tragedy is that he did so alone. Having to face such loneliness while carrying an enormous weight..." He stared up at the ceiling. "It's what really struck me about Jim when I first met him. He was such a young boy, but he was carrying the entire world on his own shoulders, and that was even before he found the Trollhunter's amulet. The name only seemed to become more appropriate after that happened." He sighed. "You're exactly the same, Barbara. You're trying to carry everything alone." He looked over his shoulder, catching Barbara's blue eyes staring at him in the rear-view mirror. "I hope the both of you realize... you don't have to do it alone. I am here, and I will gladly help you." He looked into her face for long moment, watching as her gaze flitted from him to the traffic and back.

"So that's what that name is about." Barbara smiled softly. "It's way too fitting... I was the one who was supposed to take care of Jim and he always took care of me instead," she muttered. "Even when he was little... I –" she choked, closing her eyes to fight off tears.

"What is it?" Walter asked.

"What have I done?" Barbara asked, the hurt in her voice gripping Walter's heart. "How can I take care of Emil? I always relied far too much on Jim to fix things. I wasn't even that good of a mother. Maybe – I should give Emil up; it's not too late, right?" she asked. "I –"

"No!" Walter came around the seat again, his intense eyes capturing her attention. "Barbara, listen to me!" Walter insisted. "You're a wonderful mother. Emil is your son now, and you don't have to worry. I will help you. We'll figure it out together. You were all alone with Jim, carrying the burdens of the world by yourself, but it doesn't have to be that way this time."

Barbara sniffed, then she smiled as she looked up, her eyes misty. "Thank you, Walt. I'm so glad you're here with me." She dried her eyes and sat up straighter, clearing her throat. "I can't wait until I tell Jim the news."

Walter smiled. "He may be a little surprised, but I'm sure he'll be happy for you. That's how Young Atlas is. You raised him well."

Walter's words lifted her spirits as the traffic finally started moving again, allowing them to resume their journey toward New Jersey... and Jim.