Mission Start

It was quite the little gathering at the Gyre's station as Walter and Barbara prepared to leave.

Toby, AAARRRGGHH!, and Darci were there to see them off as well as Toby's Nana and the Nuñezs. Walter didn't know how to feel about the group's presence, but Barbara seemed happy to see them. Now, she was on a call with Jim.

"Be careful, Mom," said Jim.

"It'll be fine, Jim. Finally, I get to go on a mission too! I am so ready for this." Barbara replied.

"Seriously, Mom, you have no idea what's out there. I'm surprised at all the weird stuff that keeps popping up. "

"I can handle myself," Barbara assured him.

"Just... don't rush into anything," Jim said. "Think before you act."

"I feel like you, of all people, shouldn't lecture me about that," Barbara said. "It'll be fine, Jim. It's just a little trip."

Jim sighed. "Is Strickler there? Can I have a word with him?"

"Sure." Barbara handed Walter the phone. "Jim wants a word."

Walter took the phone. "Young Atlas," he greeted.

"You better make sure she doesn't get hurt," Jim immediately instructed.

"I swear to you, on my life and honor. No harm shall come to Barbara Lake during this endeavor," Walter replied.

"I'm going to hold you to that. If something happens to her I will assume it's your fault," Jim growled. "When she tries to do something stupid, you better stop her."

Walter smirked. "I'm glad you realize I'm not the one constantly taking unnecessary risks. That one falls squarely on you two. In fact, the both of you seem to share the compulsion to dive into dangerous situations unprepared."

"So, I assume you've thought of everything?" Jim asked.

"Of course, I have," Walter retorted. "I've even updated Barbara's cellphone service. International calls and texts are now included."

"Wow! Really?" Jim asked.

"Yes. I don't think she would like it if she couldn't speak with you," Walter said. "I swear to you, Young Atlas, I will protect her. And you will keep sending her messages – at least twice a day."

"Heh," Jim laughed nervously. "Alright then. That's all I needed to know. Thanks, Strickler... Walter," Jim corrected himself.

Walter couldn't help but be amused. He'd realized that what Jim called him depended on his mood. When Jim was mad at him, he called him "Strickler," but when he was pleased he called him "Walter." It was a convenient indicator.

"Can I have Mom back on the line?" Jim asked.

"Here she is." Walter handed the phone back to a smiling Barbara.

Now it was Toby's turn to step up to Walter, wagging a lecturing finger. "You better take good care of her. If I see one single scratch on Doctor L, I'll – I'll –" he stuttered. "I'll hit you over the head with my Warhammer!"

Walter looked at him, incredulous. "You are welcome to try. But, if you miss, I'll have to break your arm." He gave Toby a sadistic grin.

Toby's face greyed, but he gathered his courage and stood up straight. "I'm serious! Jim asked me to protect Arcadia and his mom! So... you better not let anything happen to her!"

"Toby-pie!" Nana scolded. "Such temper!"

"Yeah. It's really cool," Darci grinned. "Don't worry, Mr. Strickler. TP, AAARRRGGHH! and I have this city under control."