Freedom

The human wedding at the town hall served to get the paperwork in order and was a rather mundane affair as weddings go. In addition to Walter and Barbara, the only attendees were an officiant and a witness. Both Walter and Barbara considered their real wedding the one performed in Trollmarket, and the ceremony at the town hall felt redundant.

Once the papers were signed and filed, the pair headed back to Trollmarket for a more intimate dinner, attended only by Jim and Claire.

Emil was asleep in a repurposed baby bed the trolls managed to find amongst the trash. They'd cleaned and repaired it and it served well enough, but Walter would be glad when they could get a proper one back home in Arcadia. Only one more day before they left New Jersey for California.

Barbara had three weeks of leave left, and they wanted to use them as efficiently as possible.

"So, Walter's going to stay home and take care of Emil while you work, Mom?" Jim asked. "Now that's a bit of a role reversal, isn't it?"

"It's only logical right now," Walter replied. "Barbara has a job; I don't at the moment – a situation I intend to rectify shortly. Then you could cut down on your hours, Barbara." He looked over at his wife.

"Really?" Barbara sked. "You mean that?"

"Of course," Walter replied. "If that's what you want."

"That would be amazing! I could spend more time with Emil!" Barbara beamed. "Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but... It's hard, and the long hours..." She sighed. "Cutting down would be incredible."

"Then it's settled," Walter said, cutting into his perfectly prepared steak – courtesy of Jim. "This is absolutely delicious, Young Atlas. I must admit, it surprises me you can still cook like this when you can't taste it."

"Well, it's mostly memory," Jim replied with a smile. "I'm glad you like it."

Claire could barely sit still as she ate, and her fidgeting didn't go unnoticed.

"Alright, Ms. Nuñez, what is it?" Walter asked, amused at her antics.

"Claire," she insisted. "My name is Claire, and I'm your stepson's girlfriend, not your student."

"Alright, Claire then," Walter corrected. "You seem rather eager, if I may say so."

"I finished it!" she blurted, digging under her chair and pulling out a plain box. She handed it to Barbara.

Barbara smiled. "What's this?" she asked, carefully tugging off the lid. When she saw what was inside, her eyes widened.

Claire grinned, barely able to contain her excitement as both Walter and Barbara stared down at her gift.

Jim leaned over the table to peer curiously into the box.

Barbara pulled out a handmade plush. It was a little blue troll with small horns and black hair. Soft grey fabric mimicked Trollhunter armor and two black buttons served as eyes. The plush grasped a grey, felt sword of daylight, braced with cardboard.

"Is this..." Barbara gaped. "Jim?" she asked.

"Yes!" Claire exclaimed. "It's for Emil. Then Jim can always watch over him. Well... you know, in spirit," she scratched her cheek absently.

Jim stared at the plush in Barbara's hand, astounded at Claire's work. It really did look a lot like him.

Barbara sniffed. "It's..." She swallowed hard. "Claire, it's perfect." She started crying and held the gift close. "Emil will love this, I just know it."