Preperations

Walter was right – had been from the start, but Barbara didn't like this in the least. Walter gave her strict instructions not to go out after dark, even if she was on the night shift and got sent home early, she had to wait until sun-up to leave. During daylight hours, she had to avoid dark alleys.

Under normal circumstances, these directions would sound like the ravings of a lunatic, but Walter's calm tone and serious eyes communicated all too well to Barbara that this was a matter of life and death – hers and her son's.

AAARRRGGHH!'s presence – and Walter's – were the only things that made the house relatively safe.

Barbara sighed. Her husband's wounds were healing fast. He admitted to using magic to speed the process. She understood he needed to regain his strength as soon as possible.

Walter's ability to change eye color still lingered and flared up when he was stressed or annoyed. But the flashes only lasted a few seconds, fading quickly back into green. Barbara noticed Walter lost some of his control in those moments but was always quick to collect himself again.

Barbara didn't mind those moments because, in them, Walter showed his true feelings. The thing she hated was feeling useless. All she could do was keep watch, staying out of danger as much as possible while Walter prepared for war.

"It's okay, Doctor L," Toby assured on one of his many house visits. "We've been through way worse than this. We'll handle it... somehow."

"Sure thing," Darci piped up from across the kitchen table as she scooped some cookies onto a plate. "We can handle one renegade troll."

Barbara smiled at the girl, noting how much she too had matured during the year they were absent. Darci was a little taller and she'd let her hair grow out. Right now, she wore neat corn rows. She looked casual with her worn-out jeans, and a military green tank top revealed her trim upper body.

Barbara's eyes turned back to Toby. The scar running down his shoulder and back – which he was quite proud of – was won protecting Darci from a pack of goblins. Darci told Barbara about the incident not long ago, citing it as the reason she'd decided to start training. She didn't want to be a burden to Toby anymore. The crossbow sticking up out of Darci's worn backpack testified to her determination.

Barbara admired the young woman and wished she could be a help to Walter, like Darci was to Toby. If they were attacked now, Barbara knew she'd be worse than useless.

"You alright, Doctor L?" Toby asked.

"Yeah." Barbara glanced away.

"You sure?" Toby asked again.

Barbara sighed. "Everyone else is out fighting, and I'm just waiting here... of no use to anyone."

"What? No!" Toby exclaimed. "You're not useless; you're the total opposite. You're a doctor – you heal people. That's way better than hurting them."

Barbara smiled softly, but the smile faded as she shook her head. "What good is healing people when I can't even help the ones who matter to me? I couldn't help Jim; now I can't help Walter, or Emil."

"You're kidding, right?" Toby asked. "You know Mr. Strickler lost everything in the war with Gunmar, right? But despite that, he found something he thought was worth protecting. You!" Toby pointed out. "If it weren't for you, I don't know what he'd be doing right now. He wouldn't be here, that's for sure. I doubt he'd even still have the will to fight. The Changelings – they had it rough." Toby grabbed a cookie off Darci's plate. "I'm not sure about this, but I think part of the reason he cares so much about you is because you're not a warrior." He chewed thoughtfully. "You have another way of life – like he wanted."