After the final Battle

Barbara swallowed as she looked in the direction her son disappeared. All the trolls in Arcadia Oaks were gone. They had a long and tough journey ahead of them. For now, they would have to travel through the forest where they would be protected by shadows as the sun set.

Jim... He had been in so much pain because of the sunlight.... He would be fine though.

Barbara swallowed hard again as she squeezed her eyes closed, a sob escaping her lips as a tear fell down her cheek. She felt a hand come to rest on her shoulder – a heavy hand, rough. Barbara turned to see the green troll's yellow eyes looking at her with concern.

"He's going to be fine," Walter assured. "You raised him well, he's such a strong young man. Stronger than I ever gave him credit for."

Barbara nodded. "I know."

Walter let her go to hold the magical stone he had in his arms, the cradle stone. "Barbara... you look exhausted, you should go home and get some rest."

Barbara nodded drowsily and fought off a yawn. "Yes... I know."

"I... would escort you home. I'm afraid I can't though," Walter commented as he held the cradle stone filled with the infants who were once changeling familiars.

"Huh?" Barbara asked. "Why?"

Walter looked pointedly towards the horizon. "I can't leave the shade. At least not until the sun is down."

"Can't you just... change?" Barbara asked. "That never seemed like an issue before."

"Not anymore," Walter informed as he looked down at the stone in his arms. "My familiar has been freed from the Darklands; the bond is broken. I am once again fully troll... I cannot turn back into a human."

Barbara's eyes widened as she looked at him, but Walter didn't meet her gaze. She realized he was like Jim now, unable to turn...

Barbara looked down. "There must be some route to my house that is mostly in shadow," she thought aloud.

"In the suburban area you live in?" Strickler asked and he chuckled. "Sorry to disappoint, but I don't think that's a risk worth taking." He looked toward the sinking sun. "It'll probably be half an hour before it's safe for me," he admitted. "And then... well... Trolls are not supposed to be seen."

"Then let's find something to cover you with!" Barbara announced triumphantly. "There must be something somewhere – you know, a blanket or an umbrella!"

Walter looked at her skeptically. "Why are you so insistent on this?" he finally asked. "All the Gum-gums have been defeated, neither you nor Jim especially need my protection anymore."

"That's not it!" Barbara exclaimed. "I just... I..." she choked. "I really don't want to be alone right now," she admitted.

Walter stared at her in surprise.

Barbara looked away. "Jim won't be coming home... The house is going to be so quiet. I – I'm not sure I can deal with that right now."

"Ah... I see." Walter blinked. "I mean... Are you sure that – that I'm the one you want to ask to keep you company?"

"Who else is there?" Barbara asked.

"Oh." Walter was taken aback. "Well... I suppose we'll have to find some cover then," he commented as he looked around. "I'm sorry I can't actually leave the forest myself to help you look for a suitable covering."

Barbara's eyes brightened just a little. "Wait right here; I'll go find something."

"Thank you," said Walter.