Chapter twenty-three

Eventually, Maggie and Mary came home with the balloons. After what Mary said was an amusing fight with the manager.

After all these problems I'm going to definitely need a drink later.

There was another knock at the door. I got up and answered it. Nigel smiled back at me, clutching his git to John in his hands.

"Hello Nina, thank you so much for inviting me." He said as I motioned for him to come inside.

"Of course, John always says how much he misses having his best mate around, so I thought it would be a very good supirse to bring you around." I responded closing the door behind him.

Maggie smiled from where she was on the floor. She was wrapping her present to John. She had been waiting for days impatiently for John's birthday. So that she could see Nigel. She wasn't dating anyone at the moment so she was very excited.

She got up to greet him and he gave her quite a smile. The two of them sat on the floor to catch up.

I told Freddie to take care of John's mum and sister when they arrived. I had to head to work.

"Everyone! I will call before I leave work with John. It should be in an hour or so. Brian should be arriving with Hazel and Harmony anytime. Can I trust you all to handle this?!"

"Relax Nina, we have got it handled and I will redo anything Roger does to make sure it is perfect." Maggie said which caused Freddie and Olivia to snort.

"Ahh!" Roger exclaimed throwing his hands up in confusion.

"Thank you Mag, and thank you everyone!" I said which caused a dirty look from Rog.

"You know I can just leave if you like." Roger said.

"Oh Roger quit being overdramtic." I said giving him a wink. His dirty look didn't change. "I'll be back everyone!"

"Nina what are you doing here?" Amber said as I entered the store.

"Yeah you took today off remember? Don't make me send you home." My boss told me. He was behind the counter with Amber, attending to the cash register.

"I know but I need you to pretend that I was working today." I said taking my name tag from my bag.

"Ummm why?" My boss questioned looking up from what he was doing.

"Because." I said jumping over the counter. "I took off the day today because it's John's birthday and I've been dealing with organizing his surprise party. Now John thinks I was working today and he's going to be picking me up at the time he normal does. I was here all day, okay?"

"Aww it's John's birthday? How lovely!" Amber said.

"Tell him we here at the store wish him a good one." My boss said hitting the cash register.

"I will, I'm sure he will really appreciate it. So you're okay with pretending that I worked today?" I asked.

"Free labor for the next hour? I don't see one problem with it, you can organize the new guitars that came." My boss laughed and continued to hit the cash register.

"What's going on with the ole' cash register?" I asked starting to laugh as well. My right arm leaned on the counter.

"The thing is jammed and we haven't been able to get it open all day." Amber informed me while starting to chuckle. "It's been a whole thing."

"I'm gonna have to call someone in to fix it." My boss said after hitting it one more time. "The thing isn't budging." He sighed. "The guitars are in the back, no use trying to deal with this thing anymore, get to it ladies."