Chapter one

"No that's not any good," I muttered to myself, crumbling another paper and throwing it on the floor.

"You know you could just erase and start over instead of wasting all that paper Nina."

"Yes Maggie, I know, but that doesn't help control my creative stress now does it?" I responded to my roommate, who was looking at me from the kitchen.

She laughed, pushing her brown curly hair behind her ears. She came into my room and sat down on my bed.

"You're way too hard on yourself Nina, I'm sure all of these were great." She said as I started writing again.

"Not good enough for me Mag," I responded sighing. I looked up from my paper to see her smile.

"Nothing is." She laughed. Her green eyes were looking into mine.

"I'm a complex person," I said which caused her to laugh even more.

Suddenly the music came to me and I grabbed my guitar from where it was lying on the bed and began to try and figure it out.

"I'll leave you to it then Nina." She told me, getting up. "You wanna order take out, or should I see what Mary and Fred are up to? Maybe we could go out?"

"Yeah call them, I'd like to catch up with Freddie and see how Queen is doing," I replied not looking up from my paper.

"He's just gonna request you join again," Maggie said smiling.

"Then I'll decline," I said looking up.

"Why Nina? You're so talented I think it's the time someone besides you hears it."

"Freddie's heard me," I muttered.

"Maybe that's the reason he wants you so bad for his band." She responded and I sighed and shook my head.

She sighed and closed the door, leaving me to work on my song. I eventually figured out the music that had been floating around my head for the last few minutes and wrote it down. I put my notebook down and stared at my ceiling.

Freddie was the first person to ever hear my music and my singing. Well besides my parents.

He told me I had a real talent for music. He asked me to join his band but I declined. But he never drops the question. The band is in desperate need of a bassist, they'd been through about ten and still, none of them fit in with the group. The longer Queen went on without a bassist the more Freddie begged me to join. I'd tell him I knew nothing about bass and he'd respond with I could learn any instrument I touched. I, of course, thought this was a bit of a stretch but he didn't. He always tells me how much of a talent I have for music, and I'm being selfish keeping it to myself.

About twenty minutes had gone by and Maggie came, informing me that we would be going out at seven for dinner.

I managed to drag myself out of bed and into the bathroom. I cleaned up my appearance which had faded since my last class a few hours earlier. I went into my drawer and put on some jean bell bottoms with a pink and blue stripe shirt that loosely hung from my arms.

We had agreed to meet up at our campus's hot spot, which was a restaurant up the street from most of the campus.

Freddie had graduated from college two years ago in 1969 with his degree in graphic design, the same degree I am going for. Maggie who is best friends with Mary, his girlfriend, introduced us, and we hit it off right away. He became my best friend right off the bat. He understands me like no one ever has and I understand him. I still have time left to go in my degree, but Freddie wouldn't leave me behind. He promised. He told me that he wouldn't let his future fame drive him away from me. There would always be room in his life for me. I laughed. He told me he was born to be a star. We both laughed then.