Chapter twenty

"Oh London," I muttered to myself as the rain poured down my shop's front window. I turned my attention back to the magazine I was reading, my feet up on the counter. My shift would be over in less than an hour. Business was slow today so I just read the stack of music magazines that had just come in.

The bell above the door rang, signaling someone was entering the shop. I looked up and was greeted by a grinning John.

"Hey what are you doing here?" I asked as he came forward to give me a peck. "Shouldn't you be at work?"

"I had off today so I thought I would come to visit you and surprise you with these." He told me as I just noticed the light blue box he was holding. I smiled eagerly as he opened the box to reveal twelve delicious looking donuts. My mouth watered.

"Deaky you didn't have to get me donuts-"

"Try one, they are all different flavors!" He said excitedly. I smiled at him and took a chocolate one with sprinkles. I took a bite.

"John these are incredible! Where did you get them?!" I asked with my mouth full.

"Down the street from your flat, they just opened, Kelly's bakery or something like that? I was passing by and the smell lured me in."

"Well Deaky I might just have to go with you sometime."

"Maybe you will." He responded. He took one out of the box and we ate together. We talked about our day and whatever random stuff came into our heads.

Then my shift was over and I greeted Amber as she came in. She was happy to see John and the three of us chatted for a few minutes. Then John and I walked hand and hand out of the store.

"So Tim is finally making it up for a gig tonight. Freddie told me." John said plainly.

"And is something wrong?"

"No just thought you should know."

"Deaks I know you enough by now, are you nervous about Tim?"

"Well kinda, he was Smile's bassist and lead singer. He's good friends with the lads and I don't know, I'm worried about what his opinion on me is going to be."

"He's going to like you just like everyone else does," I said giving his hand a reassuring squeeze. "And if he doesn't, fuck him, yeah? I mean he left Smile to join a band called Humpy Bong for Pete's sake."

We both laughed.

"Move people move! I want everything to be perfect for Tim!" Freddie exclaimed as the boys started taking things out of the van.

"Maybe we can show him how much better the band is without him anyway." Roger snickered. Brian cracked a smile as he unloaded his red special from the back of the van. I put John's bass around my body before he could grab it, causing him to smile and roll his eyes.

We started setting the equipment down on stage. Freddie was talking to someone who worked there. I knew Freddie. He was only trying to get out of carrying things from the van. I cackled to myself as I rose to my feet to help more. John was bent down sorting through some cords. The sunlight coming in from the window hit him just right, lighting up his features. At that moment I was rushed with gratefulness that he was mine. I was dating him. I was the luckiest girl in the world.

I went over to him and bent down in front of him. He smiled at me. He looked back down at his cords but I lifted his chin back to face me. I leaned forward so our lips met. He smiled through the kiss. I let go but slowly.

"What was that for?" He asked, his cheeks lit up.

"I just remembered how lucky I am," I replied simply.