Chapter fourteen

Again I looked at myself in the mirror, a little more confident this time, in my cap in and gown. I had redone my makeup that I had cried off. Mitchelle had luckily brought some and came to my rescue. If she hadn't, I would have gone out on stage looking like a raccoon.

"I can't believe this," Mitchelle said as we both looked at our reflections.

"Neither can I," I said as Annie came into the bathroom and gave me a hug.

"This is it ladies, last day as uni students, our lives begin now, well kinda." She announced to the bathroom of girls. "How are we feeling?"

"Okay," I told her still staring at my reflection. "Okay."

I sat down in my seat and spotted John coming in. I waved him over happily. He smiled and started coming over. Soon after that his mum and sister came in the door. I was shocked that they were here. They didn't have to be. They barely knew me. But the fact that they were made me beyond happy for some reason.

He came over and hugged me.

"Are you excited?" He said when he let go of me. He was wearing a sweater vest with a white t-shirt underneath.

"I am now," I responded. I took his hand and held it in mine. As our hands connected a burst of energy went through me, and I knew he felt it too.

"Well good luck, and I'll see you after." He told me and I nodded. As soon as his hand disconnected from mine, I felt withdrawal.

My sister waved to John as he passed him in the aisle. She looked at me and almost burst into tears.

"I'm just so proud of you." She cried and embraced me tightly. "I know you made the right choice. Screw mum and dad. Screw them for not being here."

I laughed and patted her back.

"Yes screw them. But it's alright. I'm just glad you're here."

"Well I gotta go, but I'll see you after okay?"

"Alright," I replied and watched her walk back down to where our group was. Freddie's mum and Kash waved at me. His dad was sitting down in the seat next to John's mum. I was overjoyed. Freddie's family liked me a lot. When I go over there for dinner they are always so kind to me.

I was standing in line, waiting for my name to be called. I had lots of thoughts running through my mind. One of them was how nice it was for John's mum and sister to come. They've only known me for a few days and yet they decided to come. My parents couldn't even bother to show up, even after I made Sam remind them of it in the months prior to it. But here was John's mother sitting in the front row with my friends. It almost brought me to tears. I knew Freddie's family wouldn't miss it either, and I just felt so grateful that they were here.

"Nina Jackson!" The announcer said. It was like slow-motion walking to get my diploma. I just thought about how much work I had put in to be where I was now. I looked at my friends who were screaming their heads off. Freddie and Maggie held a sign with 'Way to go, Nina,' written on it. They all were standing up for me, including John's mom and sister. My sister was screaming her head off, hanging on to Maggie for dear life.

I took my diploma and it was at that moment I started crying, hard. It wasn't tears of sadness at all. They were tears of joy. I was smiling as tears ran down my face. I shook hands with the man and then shook hands with the rest of the staff. I left the stage, my makeup running down my face again. But I couldn't have been happier. I did it.

Freddie pushed through people in the lobby to get to me. He scooped me up and hugged me tighter than he had ever before. I could tell he had been crying as well. He went on and on about how proud he was of me and I just nodded. I was too happy for words.