one

"What is the answer?" Mrs. Dillon asks. I'm always that one girl who gets picked on, sits in front of the class, has straight A's, just the typical Harper. It runs in my family, being a genius. "It's 98. Remainder 4." I answer. "Great job, Harper!" Mrs. Dilon. I hear a snide comment from behind me, "Dork." Hidden in a cough, classic. Mrs. Dillon stands in front of her desk, "Mr. Hood, Come up here and apologize." She points to the floor. He stands up and walks in front of my desk. Butterflies erupt into my stomach, it's like a sensation. He puts his elbows on the desk, face close to mine, making me nervous. "I'm sorry, Neveah." He smiles, and pinches his arm. I nod, trying to contain my nervousness. He smiles at Mrs. Dillon and returns to his seat. The bell rings and I gather my things quickly. "I'll see you on Monday, class." Mrs. Dillon releases us out of school. I rush to my locker.

I slam my locker shut and walk out of the building. I adjust my binder and rush to my car. I throw my binder and phone into the passenger seat. I push the keys into the ignition and start my car. I turn my radio on and a song begins to play. "My lover's got humor, She's a giggle at a funeral." This is basically my song.

I pull into the drive and take my things inside. "Hello, Neveah! How was your day?" My dad asks. "Normal. I'm got to go do homework." I run up the stairs. My mom's a nonexistent figure in my life. I throw my phone on the bed and sit at my desk. I begin doing my algebra homework while munching on some veggie staws. BING
Hooddrone is online.
Nothingbutalaugh: Hey, Calum!
Hooddrone: Sup, laugh.
Nothingbutalaugh: How was your day?
Hooddrone: I apologized to someone I want to be friend with. In one of my classes.
Nothingbutalaugh: Yeah. Girl or boy. :)
Hooddrone: It's a girl. Her name is Neveah. I want to talk to her but I don't know what to say.
Nothingbutalaugh: Just start with a simple 'hi' or an invite somewhere where you two can talk, hang out.
Hooddrone: I guess, you're right. You are a girl.
Nothingbutalaugh: I better be right. Listen, I have to go. Homework awaits.
Hooddrone: I'll ask her on Monday. I'll have to do mine too.
Nothingbutalaugh is offline.

I finish up my homework and walk down stairs for dinner. "Hello, sweetheart." My father smiles and kisses my forehead. "Hi, daddy." I smile and pull my phone from my pocket.
Hooddrone is offline.
Well, no luck on that. I put my phone down and eat my soup. "This is great." I eat more. Ding! My phone screeches. An unknown number appears. "Hello?" I swallow. "Yeah, is this Neveah?" Calum asks. "Um. Yeah. Thus is she." I answer and walk to the living room. I can hear his shaking breath, a smile grows across my face. "Uh, yeah. So, I got your number from a friend and I wanted to ask," He pauses, "want to go camping this weekend with my family, I mean I have permission to bring a friend. I just want to offer." He shudders. "Id love to." I reply. His breath returns to normal, "I'll pick you up tomorrow at 11." His cheerful voice fills my heart with joy. "Okay, bye." I smile, trying to hide the happiness. I run to the dining room and jump up and dad. "Can I go on a camping trip with Calum!? And his family of course." I ask trying to calm down. "As long as you sleep in a separate tent. Yes." Daddy smiles. "Oh! Thank you! Thank you!" I hug him tightly. "I'm gonna pack up. I'll bring my food upstairs." I take the bowl and walk upstairs.

I zip my bag up and grab my phone.
Hooddrone is online.
Hooddrone: Hey! I asked her! She said yes! We'll be spending the weekend together. Of course I'll have to go back to being a jerk on Monday.
Nothingbutalaugh: Why are you so mean to her. I mean you want to be friends with her, but you still seem to bully her.
Hooddrone: I have a reputation to protect. She can hang out at my house, she can be a best friend. It just can't be that way in school or around my other friends.
Nothingbutalaugh: I have to go. I'm going to bed soon.
Hooddrone: Alright. Good Night.
Nothingbutalaugh is offline.

I fall into my bed and cry softly. Part of it is because he wants ME to go with him and the other part because he can't be friend with me around his other friends. I grab my phone and decide to tell him.
Hooddrone is offline.
Nothingbutalaugh: If you want to be her friend. You wouldn't care about what your other friends think of her. It matters what you think of her. And if those other friends can't accept her, then they aren't true friends. Friends stick by eachother , thick through thin.

I swallow and put my phone on my desk. "Good night." I yell into the house and fall on my bed.