033 : "our job comes first"

chapter thirty three

season six , episode two ; endings

where death leads to trouble

"Just heard about your father. I'm sorry. " Voight told the two detective Halsteads. Hailey nodded while Jay just stood there. "But you two need to take some time , go be with your family."

The word family made Hailey and Jay gulp harshly , they weren't a family anymore. All they had for family was Will now.

"It's not what you think Sarge." Hailey told her Sergeant. "You already know that me and him and also him and Jay had a complicated relationship. We didn't really see eye to eye but it's not about us or him. Five other people died in that fire and we are going to help. That's our job and right now our job comes first."

Hank Voight looked at the two detectives. He could see Jay was more out of it while Hailey was completely calm and composed but they were both hard headed Halsteads.

"Go to medical examiner and find correlations in the victims."

They nodded and walked away together. Hailey could feel the stares everyone gave them, the sympathetic ones full of pity. They just lost Lisa and now they lost Pat. They got into Jay's truck before going to the medical examiner.

They got back to the precinct and they both ignored the looks before going upstairs. Hank Voight walked out as Hailey talked to unit , pointing to the board.

"All right, M.E. also found three old bullet holes and a severed finger on John Doe two. We've ran that through every system we've got but so far no hit on and ID but those are pretty unique identifiers."

"So flag it up the ladder with the FBI." Hank told her and she nodded. "Hit hospital records too."

Hailey and Jay went to their computers , ignoring the footsteps of people behind them.

"We've got spotty elevator and lobby cameras." Adam's voice said behind her. "But the camera near the entrance got fritzed out in the fire."

"But the building across the street got surveillance from the front. Got POD footage in the back but it's not perfect." Kevin said after Adam but Antonio had walked in and explained something , that was so crazy but a possibility. Jay raised an eyebrow.

"So you're saying Edgar Torres of the Sinaloa Cartel just got hit in Chicago ?"

"Hank , you got a problem downstairs." Trudy Platt told him before leaving downstairs. Hank nodded and walked out with Antonio. There was silence , a lot of it. Adam had sat down before grabbing Hailey's chair lightly. The action made her turn around and look at him.

"What ?" She asked softly. Adam looked at her before seeing that small speck of sadness before it hid itself from him. She already knew he seen it so she turned around got back to work.

Other things needed to be done before they would have that conversation.

**********

Hailey had a lot of self control. It was a trait that she heard learned when she was a child. Never let your emotions cloud you or your judgement because that gets you in the worst trouble. That was lesson number one and it was a lesson that her brother needed to remember since their father only died hours ago.

"You know , it wouldn't be bad to sit this one out." Hailey said as she glanced at her brother as the two watched Hank and Antonio talk to their suspect.