020 : "do we know him ?"

season three , episode thirteen ; hit me

(the first scene , they had us in the first half, not gonna lie)

chapter twenty

where the Halstead's ask questions

The casino was filled up to the brim that Saturday night. Everyone cheering on Hailey Upton as she was the end , Adam Ruzek right behind her. Her hair was curled and she was wearing a gold and black outfit, gold hoops in her ears. He was wearing an all black outfit behind her.

"Hit me." Hailey told the Asian woman who was dealing the cards excitedly. She finished her drink with a grimace. The woman put down a red diamond number five to complete her set.

"21."

"Yes !" Hailey shouted , throwing a fist up as everyone around her cheered. She turned to Adam who smiled down at her.

"You wanna take this back to the room ?"

"Maybe later , I want to go out." Hailey Upton told her before turning to everyone else and standing up. " Gentlemen, lady."

She had gave the woman a couple of chips before laughing to herself , picking up the chips and holding her shirt so she could carry them over to her cash earnings. Once she did , she collected her nine thousand and turned around , shoving it in her purse. Hailey closed it before bumping into a tall Caucasian male.

"M'am , you have had a nice night. I'd like to offer you a car home."

"Aw that's so sweet." She told him , moving around slightly , not keeping her balance. "I'm actually okay to drive."

Hailey had pulled out a hundred before shoving it his pocket and patting his chest and walked off. Her feet carried her to the hallway , people in bright outfits and loud mouths were there, the music slowly fading from her ears. She stumbled a bit more but pretended like she didn't, readjusting the bag on her shoulder.

"Hey." Adam said behind her as she pulled out her keys. She ignored him. "Where you going ?"

She turned around to see him with a slight shrug as he walked up to her.

"The city. I want to spend some of this." She told him , shaking her purse.

"You're going to drive ? Are you out of your mind ? How many whiskey's you have, seven ?"

His concerned voice had raised some octaves , causing some people walking by to look over at the arguing couple. Hailey Upton rolled her blue eyes at him.

"Now you're counting my drinks ?"

"Yeah , when I'm dealing with a drunk , I count drinks-"

His words were cut off by her slapping him across the face. Some people had gasped and all eyes were on them.

"Don't worry about my drinks and don't worry about me." She told him before stumbling away.

"You know what ? Knock yourself out !" He shouted after her but she waved him off before walking outside and getting back in her car. Her drive back was cut short when she didn't even make it a couple miles before the blue lights flashed behind her and the police siren went off twice. Hailey groaned before pulling over to the side of the road and parking.

She heard the cop get out the car before coming to her side and Hailey looked up at him.

"You know why I pulled you over ?"