026 : "you're better than that"

chapter twenty six

where limits are pushed

Hailey looked at the side of her bed that was empty. She sighed , pulling the teal cover back over her shoulder. Her nose dived into the dark blue and black plaid shirt , that belong to Adam Ruzek.

His scent was still in the soft fabric that kept her warm.

Her blue eyes went over to her nightstand where her phone laid. Any idea of it made her uneasy , her stomach jumping and flipping every time it hit her mind to talk to Adam but that day in her mind , it wouldn't stop replaying but it never stopped playing in everyone else's as well.

Hailey laid beside Adam , his bare arms wrapped around her. Her index finger traced invisible circles on his chest as she ignored the small hairs that were on his pale skin. The feeling content over the two of them , laying there quietly together.

After arguing with each other for over an hour , they had almost went there but they couldn't bring themselves to that point. It wasn't time for it , it just wasn't.

"Do you still want Kim ?" She asked Adam softly and he sighed. "It's a serious question."

"No I don't Hailey. I always wanted you."

Hailey blushed with embarrassment , she just couldn't get Adam and Kim out of her head, no matter how hard she tried.

"I always will want you."

Jay Halstead was back at the office along with everyone else. They were wrapping up the case since Jay had sent his sister home because she was feeling sick and Adam had to go see a CI. As everyone was putting things away , Jay's phone rung.

He looked down at the caller ID and a small smile graced his lips. The action caused Erin to raise an eyebrow. Jay picked up the phone before putting it on his ear , between his shoulder as he put another file back in the box.

"Hey Ms. Rhonda." He spoke softly , referring to his elderly next door neighbor. The elderly black woman was incredibly sweet and was a retired school teacher who often cooked for Hailey and Jay when they had long calls and were out long. The name caused Erin to look away and mind her business.

"You need to get here." She whispered.

"What happened ?"

"Hailey was screaming earlier but it got quiet , I didn't know what to do." Rhonda said lowly. Jay froze for a second. Jay scrambled to grab his things as he stood up , causing all eyes go to him.

"When did it stop ?"

"Only ten minutes ago . I thought it was you two at first but I don't see your truck in the parking lot."

"Thanks , I'm on my way." Jay said before bidding his goodbyes. He hung up the phone and slammed his hands on his desk. "Dammit ! We got to go !"

"Where are we going ?" Erin asked as she grabbed her things along with Kim and Kevin since they were the only ones left.

"Back to my place , the neighbor heard Hailey scream for awhile and she's there by herself." Jay quickly spoke , his words rushing together. The four rushed out , Jay's truck speeding with Kevin's Dodge right behind him. Erin was smart enough to get on her phone and track down Adam's location but it popped up at Jay's place he shared with Hailey. She had already knew about the couple from Kim but kept it a secret. Erin had tried calling the both of them but they didn't answer. "You tried calling her ?"