027 : "what real loves feels like"

chapter twenty seven

where they give up

A case had went bad and they all hated it. Kevin sighed as he looked at Adam. For this to be the last case for him to work on for awhile , it sucked. Kevin had already bid his farewells to his best friend before leaving out.

Adam watched Hailey go to the basement to leave but he wanted to talk to her first, they haven't spoken since Jay caught them and it was hard to watch them crumble and fall once again.

"Hey Hailey , wait up."

Hailey stopped walking. She just wanted to go home and go to bed , that's all. She didn't want to argue with Adam , not today , not now.

"Hailey."

She sighed and turned to him. "What ?"

"We gotta talk, I mean it's been weeks."

"I know." She told him softly as she looked down. "I just- I don't know Adam , I just don't. It's like no matter what we do , it's not going to work , it seems like it wasn't going to last long anyway."

"Hailey, I want this to work but you aren't trying." Adam admitted to her. "You don't talk to me, I just can't look at you and know what's wrong. I can't do that. I don't even know you like that and I have feelings for you. That was a mistake on my part and yours."

"You're right."

Adam looked at her before looking away, shaking his head slightly.

"I looked into all the women you slept with at the precinct." She told him and Adam looked at her. "You never gave me answer so I asked around. It was hard to do that because I realized , you can't really treat women right and I want to be treated right. I want more than being exclusive , I want more than a lot that you gave them-"

"But you're different than them-"

"But Adam , how do I know that ?" Hailey asked honestly, small tears raising in her eyes. "I can't know that. The girl you wanted to marry , works with us and you had two chances and you don't even bother. You drag every other woman along and I can't do that to myself , I just can't. I deserve more than some locker room proposal, I deserve a lot of more than a lot that you gave the girl you almost married , and if that's how you were going to work , then we should've not done this in the first place."

"Hailey...."

"I'll see you later Adam."

Hailey carried her feet outside to Jay's truck , waiting for him to come outside. She didn't want to be bothered with this right now , she couldn't be and she didn't want to be.

Adam's hands held the letter he wanted to give her that expressed how really felt but she left too fast , from them , from everything. He had spent a lot of time on it on the past couple of days when it was confirmed he was going undercover in Narcotics and leaving the unit. Only Kevin and the two Sergeants knew but he didn't want it to get out until he left.

He sighed as he looked at it before an idea got in his mind. Adam walked back inside quietly and saw Jay at his locker , sitting down , changing his shoes. He leaned against the side of the lockers, knocking his knuckles on them softly. The dinging sound of the metal caused Jay Halstead to look up. Jay raised an eyebrow and Adam sighed.

"Uh....." Adam started off before sighing. "I fucked up and I fucked up bad."

Jay watched him continue to talk in confusion. Where was Adam going with this ?

"I'm sorry that I did that to you. I knew she was off limits and I couldn't even control myself. You were right when you told her that she deserves more than some lousy locker room proposal because she does. I mean she deserves more than that , she deserves the world and I'm not in the right spot to give her that, no matter how much I want to give her that. I'm sorry that I'm not the right guy for her and the right guy you want for her. I fucked up a lot in the past and I ruined my chances with her the moment I saw her."