012 : "keeping it all in"

season five , episode six ; fallen

chapter twelve

where she learns to let go

Hailey and Jay stood by the counter at this conference that they were forced to go to

Hailey and Jay stood by the counter at this conference that they were forced to go to. Adam and Kevin had already walked out since they wanted to grab real drinks instead of staying there. The conference was for a mayor that kept that Intelligence Unit alive and the four of them had to go along with Voight.

"You wanna roll ?" Jay asked his sister as Adam and Kevin started heading to the door , walking past them. Hailey gave him a bored look while messing with her balck tie that contrasted with her blue top. They were in decorated police uniforms like they were all in patrol all over again.

"We get off the clock in ten minutes."

"So ?"

The two both put their arms , her right and his left onto the counter , leaning against it. Her blonde ponytail swinging slightly as she spoke.

"Unless you know other place serving free Chantal de Laroque ?" Hailey asked as she looked at the bottles on the bar and back at her brother. Jay smirked and laid his right forearm on table before putting his right fist on the side of his head.

"Wow, you're really, um...what's the word ?" He said before looking at her. "Le snob."

They both laughed and her head turned to her left , the small smile falling from her face. Jay immediately noticed before looking over to see who she was looking at. It was an older man sitting next to his wife and Voight was talking to him.

"Who's that ?"

"Sergeant McGrady." Hailey spoke as her eyes went back to her partner. "Sergeant out of Narcotics. Couple years back I was assigned to his joint investigation."

Sean McGrady and Hailey Upton glanced at each other again before she looked at the ground. "Good police."

"She says with hesitation."  Jay told her and she looked up at him.

"No , he is. He's just.....uh..... he's competitive , always looking for an angle , drove me nuts."

"Well do you need me to get him ?"

Hailey laughed.

"The last thing I need is you beating up every guy that I come across."

Jay only smiled.

"Seems like fun."

**********

Walking out of the precinct with Sean McGrady the next day was awkward for her. Of course , a shooting happened and the ground the unit had to cover involved him.  Hailey tried to explain to Hank that Sean was not needed but he insisted, leaving her to work with Sean all over again.