775

Unexpected Guest

Feng Yu Heng entered the yard while being pushed by the crowd of children. Wang Chuan led others to bring the things off the carriage and brought them into the yard to be distributed to the children. Fu Shan pointed at the group of people standing in the middle of the yard, especially the two children kneeling on the ground, and said: “Imperial daughter, take a look. These are two children that were saved after they fell into the water. They insisted on having the residence taking them in.”

Feng Yu Heng asked Fu Sang, “Are they orphans?”

Fu Sang shook her head and said: “It’s because they aren’t orphans that this problem arose.”

“Not orphans?” Feng Yu Heng was puzzled and took a few steps forward; however, her gaze turned to the few people that were standing next to the two children. She paid extra attention to a noble young man whose body was quite wet. Although he looked to be in quite a bad situation, he still had a bit of the grace of a noble’s son. She just felt that this person looked a bit familiar; however, she could not immediately recall where she had seen him before. That person also wanted to speak with her, but the two kneeling children began to cry and plead, thus he pulled his servants back and gestured for Feng Yu Heng to go ahead. Feng Yu Heng politely nodded to him then asked the two children: “I heard that you two are not orphans? Then why have you requested that we take you in? This place is an orphanage, and all those taken in are without parents.”

She spoke in a gentle tone while stepping forward. Grabbing the two children’s wrists, she checked their pulses. With their bodies soaked on a Winter day, it was clear that they had just been pulled out of the water. For them to have been kneeling on the ground, it would have been odd if they did not catch a cold.

The two children saw that she looked like the master and did not care that Feng Yu Heng was grabbing their wrists, quickly saying: “We’re begging you to take us in. We know that this is an orphanage, but we also heard that this place teaches people medicine, and it’s very famed medicine. Our mother fell ill with a very serious illness, and our family spent all of its money to treat our mother’s illness, and there is no money left for treatment. We’re begging you to take us in and teach us medicine. Let us treat our mother. We can do work for the residence. My younger brother and I are both seven and can do many things. In the future, when we grow up and have earned some money, we will send it here as repayment. We will not stay here for free. We’re begging you!”

While the children were speaking, they kowtowed once more. Feng Yu Heng gave Tian Dong and Fu Sang a look to have them quickly stop the children. She then let go of their wrists and said: “Their bodies are weak, and they have colds. It seems like you fell in the water, right? It’s fortunate that you were pulled out quickly. If you were in there for much longer, perhaps half of your life would be lost.”

Only then did Tian Dong say: “These two children came from the other side of the river up ahead. Part of the river has already frozen. For the sake of taking a shortcut, they took the risk and crossed over the ice; however, they didn’t know that the surface of the ice was not sturdy, and a hole opened up when they reached the middle and swallowed them.” After she finished speaking, she looked to the noble’s child and continued: “It’s fortunate that this kind young sir was passing by on the shore with his attendants. Seeing the two children fall in, he quickly saved them. Otherwise, these two children really would have been out of luck.”

Tian Dong finished speaking her part, and the young man finally spoke up: “These two children have quite sturdy bodies. After being pulled out of the water, they were able to speak. They said that they wanted to come to the other side of the river to go to the residence that teaches medicine. I thought a bit and figured it would be this place, thus I made the decision to bring them here.”