753

Individual Scheming

In the evening, a sole person dared to come to the forest to block the path of an imperial concubine. At this moment, there was just one thought in Noble Lady Yuan’s mind. This person was bold! And what sort of person matched this description? Without a need to think about it, it was clear that it was definitely Feng Yu Heng. Thus Noble Lady Yuan’s first reaction was that Feng Yu Heng had come. She felt that everything that she had done was quite well-hidden, but in the end, it still could not be kept a secret from Feng Yu Heng. Would Fu Ya… really not be able to make to the South? Would all of her plans fall flat?

Noble Lady Yuan’s body began to tremble, but it was not out of fear. Instead, it was from anger. But at this time, Yue Xiu muttered from the side: “It seems that it’s not Imperial Daughter Ji An.”

“Hm?” Noble Lady Yuan was stunned, “It’s not?”

“It seems that they’re a bit taller than Imperial Daughter Ji An.” She pointed at the figure ahead and said: “Master, take a look. It’s not Imperial Daughter Ji An’s body build.”

Only then did Noble Lady Yuan calm herself down and look carefully. This allowed her to see the differences. Sure enough, the person standing there was quite a bit taller than Feng Yu Heng. There also did not appear to be much that was done with their hair, as it was truly that person’s height. She immediately let out a sigh of relief. Ascertaining that it was not Feng Yu Heng, the worry and anger that she had felt earlier dissipated, but she immediately became furious once more. Noble Lady Yuan quickly took a few steps and met with that figure, forcefully saying: “Who is it that is standing there?”

That person heard this question and began to move. Quickly stepping forward, they said with a bright and cheery voice: “Imperial Concubine, Yan’er specifically came to pick you up.”

The words Yan’er combined with that person getting closer allowed Noble Lady Yuan to finally recognize that the person was the Lu family’s Lu Yan. This really did anger her quite severely, and she immediately said in an impolite tone: “Who is Lu Yan? This One does not recognize her!” She had just been demoted today, and she really could not change her way of referring to herself.

Of course, Lu Yan did not mind such things. In her eyes, as long as Noble Lady Yuan was happy, she would call her anything that she liked, as long it was not done in front of the Emperor. Of course, she also understood that Noble Lady Yuan did not have a good impression of her, and she did not truly want for His Highness the Eighth Prince to be engaged to the Lu family. As for how the current situation came to be, she could not figure that out clearly. But regardless of what was said, the Emperor had spoken, and the matter had been set, and nobody was able to change it. This engagement was something that Noble Lady Yuan had to accept, regardless of what she wanted. As for Lu Yan, regardless of what position this mother-in-law now had, as long as she still wanted to have a good life with the eighth prince, she had to fawn on her and pay respects to her.

Lu Yan took another half a step forward, continuing to speak with a smile: “Imperial Concubine, Yan’er is the Lu family’s daughter. I am the one that was personally granted an engagement by His Majesty. I am the one engaged to His Highness the Eighth Prince!” You’re pretending to not recognize me? It’s fine, we can get to know each other once more. As Lu Yan spoke, she warmly grabbed Noble Lady Yuan’s arm. Even though Noble Lady Yuan tried to get free a couple times, she did not let go. Only when Noble Lady Yuan gave up did she say: “Imperial Concubine, Yan’er is your future daughter-in-law. It would be best if we did not become hostile toward each other. Although our Lu family has suffered a bit at the hands of the Yao family, that is just in terms of business. It’s completely unrelated to battle in the court. Regardless of the situation, my father is still a standard first rank official, so to speak of making a comeback, it’s just something that can happen in a short period of time. It’s possible that the hand holding down the Lu family will be lifted by the end of the Winter Hunt. Also, there are more paths in this world than just business. Father has been fully dedicating himself to sharing the burdens of the country and to reduce the worries of the ruler. To fulfill his duties at the prime minister, that is the most important thing to do. Imperial Concubine, what do you think?”