22 (incase you can't see it)

WATTPAD IS BEIN A LITTLE BITCH SO I'M UPLOADING THIS AGAIN BC IT DOESN'T WANNA LET ME SEND THE CHAPTER TO PEOPLE SO!!!

IGNORE THIS IF YOU'VE ALREADY READ IT I'M V SORRY ):

~~~

Luke woke up to the sound of soft crying.

He immediately recognized the tiny sobs to be Ashton's, though he wasn't sure if the curly haired boy was awake or not.

Luke removed the arm that didn't have a cast on it from around his husband's waist and trailed it up Ashton's arm.

"Baby?"

Ashton's body stiffened in response.

"Are you awake?"

Ashton sniffled and curled further in to Luke's embrace.

"I'm sorry for waking you up." Ashton's voice was broken and it made Luke's heart hurt.

Luke pushed on Ashton's shoulder, gesturing for his to flip over and face him, so Ashton complied.

Luke frowned at his husband's tear stained cheeks.

"What's wrong, kitten?"

Ashton shrugged, "Everything."

Luke brought his hand up to wipe away a few fresh tears from the curly haired boy's face, "I know, but is there something in particular that's on your mind?"

Ashton nodded hesitantly.

"Please tell me, princess."

Ashton let out a long, shaky sigh, "I got a call from the doctor's about an hour ago, and they never, ever call that late unless it's something urgent."

Luke nodded, urging him on.

"I didn't really understand what they were saying at first because they were using all these big words, but I asked them to speak, like, normal english and, um. They told me that my life expectancy was shortened drastically."

Luke's body felt numb.

"How long? You know, until-"

"Just over a week."

It was deafeningly silent for about three minutes. Luke had clamped his hand over his mouth to prevent any sobs to fall out and Ashton just stared at the ceiling.

Then Luke's voice, barely above a whisper, "I don't want you to go."

"Me neither."

~

The two laid still for hours, neither of them sleeping, until the sunlight began to leak over the horizon and through the window. Their hands remained firmly interlocked as they spent the early hours of the morning just thinking; thinking of everything that could be thought up.

As Ashton's recently civilized room flooded with sunlight, Luke flipped over on to his side and pulled Ashton's body against his chest.

"This doesn't change anything, okay? Life is meant to be lived, so that's exactly what we're gonna do."

Ashton cracked a smile and nodded.

"I really love you, Luke."

Luke smiled against the warm skin of Ashton's neck.

"I really love you too."

And as much as their fears and insecurities threatened to drown the two, they managed to find serenity in each other's embrace. And that, to them, was perfect.