01

I don't need the stars in the night, I found my treasure.

All I need is you by my side, so shine forever.

~Gold, Owl City

~~~

"Fuck you guys! I never asked to be a part of this dysfunctional, pathetic family!" Luke screamed, his face red and hands shaking.

"Lucas! Calm down, you're being unreasonable-"

"Unreasonable?! Oh my god- just fucking save it, will you?!"

He trudged towards the front door and flung it open.

"I'll be back tomorrow to pick up my shit. Sorry for being such a disappointment," he spat at his parents before slamming the door shut behind him.

He furiously wiped stray tears from his eyes as he bolted down the front steps and down the street. It was already almost midnight and he could barely see where he was going. He managed to find his way to the park down the street. He decided that he'd sleep there tonight; he's slept there overnight with friends plenty of times.

He jogged across the field, making his way to the row of trees lining the exterior fence. He was so focused on where he was trying to get to that he wasn't really looking where he was going, so he didn't notice whatever was lying on the ground just ahead of him.

"Shit!"

His foot caught on the object and he tumbled to the ground. He let the tears he fought so hard to contain run down his cheeks. Sobs began falling from his lips and he frantically pulled at his hair.

"I can't help it!" He cried, "I can't help it..."

"Excuse me, tall boy? Are you okay?"

He sat up and whipped his head around to find the source of the voice. His eyes landed on a boy with curly, sandy coloured hair and big eyes staring intently back at him. He wiped at his eyes and shuffled back, thoroughly shocked by the other boy's presence.

"Who the fuck are you?" Luke practically screeched.

"My name is Ashton!" The boy cheerfully informed him, a dimpled smile spread across his face, "but you can call me whatever you want."

Luke rubbed his eyes and blinked a couple times, taking a better look at the boy. He had on a pair of black skinny-jeans and a lilac coloured knit sweater that was much too big. It slid off his shoulder and exposed his prominent collarbones. He sat on his knees with his sleeve-clad hands resting in his lap, his large eyes shimmering and dancing under the light of the stars.

"What's your name?" He asked, shifting his body closer to Luke's.

"Luke..." He answered uncertainly, "What are you doing here?"

He giggled and bit his bottom lip before saying, "I was about to ask you that question, silly."

Luke found himself smiling at Ashton's musical laugh, but his smile almost instantly vanished when he remembered how bizarre the situation at hand really was.

"Uh-"

"Don't be shy!" Ashton giggled and poked Luke's cheek with his index finger.

"Stop that." He snapped and swatted at his hand, but chuckled nonetheless.

"Why do you want to know?" Luke asked him curiously.

"Because you're really pretty." Ashton exclaimed and his smile immediately faltered. Luke cocked an eyebrow at him and he laughed nervously before saying, "I mean, because you look sad, and I want to help!"

Luke laughed and straightened himself up, crossing his legs and leaning his elbows on his knees.

"I ran away from home."

"Why would you do that? Don't you love your family?" Ashton asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"They didn't accept who I am. A family accepts you for you; they weren't a family to me."

Ashton frowned and cocked his head to the side.

"Where are you going to stay?"

Luke sighed and rubbed a hand over his face.

"I don't know, I'll probably ask to live with my best mate until I go off to Uni in the fall."

Ashton murmured a small 'Oh' before the two slipped in to an uneasy silence.

"What about you, why are you here?" Luke asked after a few minutes.

"I was just going for a walk." The other boy replied, his signature smile plastered to his face once again.

"Your parents are okay with you going for a walk at midnight?"

"I live by myself."

"Really? How old are you?"

"Twenty."

'Oh.'

"How old are you?"

"I'm eighteen. I guess it was about time I moved out anyways." Luke sighed and scratched the back of his neck.

"I'm sorry, Lukey. Your parents don't see how special you really are." Ashton smiled.

Luke smiled back and gave him a questioning look. "Lukey?"

"Am I not allowed to call you that?" He asked, his smile being replaced with a worried expression.

Luke laughed and shrugged.

"It's fine. You can call me that I guess."

Luke hauled himself up off the ground and stretched before extending his hand to help the curly-haired boy up. His hands were much bigger than Luke's, but the way they were tucked away in the sleeves of his over-sized sweater made them seem cute, delicate even.

"I'm going to head to my friend's house. It was nice meeting you, Ashton." Luke smiled at him.

Ashton swiftly wrapped his arms around Luke's shoulders and buried his face in his neck. Luke felt his stomach twist and he tensed up at his sudden display of affection, but returned the hug.

"I hope things get better, Lukey." He hummed quietly and planted a soft kiss to Luke's collarbone.

Luke smiled and ruffled Ashton's thick mop of hair.

"I'll see you around, Curly."