15

You're crazy and I'm out of my mind.

~All of Me, John Legend

~~~

It was Ashton who broke the awkward silence at the table the following morning.

"I'm quitting my job today."

Luke's head snapped up at the sound of his voice, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

"What? Why?"

Ashton shrugged, "It's not satisfying enough."

Luke dropped his gaze back down to his bowl of soggy, half eaten cheerios.

"Neither am I, apparently."

Luke startled when he heard a loud crash and something clatter to the floor; he looked up to find Ashton's face tinting red with anger and his hands in fists on the table.

"Fuck you. You barely know me, you have no idea what happened last night.

Luke's jaw dropped in pure bemusement and he scoffed.

"Barely know you? I know you well enough, Ashton. I know that you're so, so naive. The second you fall in love with someone, you melt in their hands and will do anything they say. Calum doesn't love you, Ashton."

By the time Luke had finished his little rant, his hands were in fists and he had backed Ashton up against the wall. He hadn't registered Ashton was crying until he'd controlled his breathing a little.

"I- I hate you, Luke."

Luke's eyes softened the second Ashton stormed out the front door of Michael's apartment.

"Fuck."

He grabbed Michael's home phone and dialed Michael's cell number. He picked up after two rings;

"Luke?" Michael's scratchy voice came from the other end of the line.

"Yeah."

"What's up?"

"I fucked up, Mikey. Where are you?"

There was a brief moment where all Luke heard was muffled talking in the background, then Michael's voice saying, "You're at my place, right?"

"Yes."

"Alright. I'll bus over now, I should be there in half an hour."

~

"Have you ever considered counseling?"

Luke immediately got defensive.

"Why the hell would I need counseling?"

Michael flinched at Luke's tone, gripping the steering wheel a little tighter in order to keep control.

"Chill dude. This is what I mean, you have too much anger in your system."

Luke huffed and rubbed his hands over his face.

"Woah, what happened to your hand?"

Luke looked down at his black cast, "Broke it."

"How?"

Luke paused for a moment then sighed, "I punched your fridge."

Michael's eyes widened, "Is my fridge okay?"

Luke shrugged, "Yeah..?"

Luke could practically hear Michael rolling his eyes.

"For fuck sakes, you dipshit."

The two drove in silence for the last couple minutes, "Jesus of Seburbia" blaring through the speakers.

Michael eventually pulled up in front of the familiar brick house with the wild blue door.

"I'm betting he's here. If not, call me."

"I smashed my phone."

Michael sighed and thudded his head against the headrest.

"If he's not here, find a payphone. We're going to buy you a new phone when I pick you up."

Luke nodded and thanked his friend, then slowly made his way to Ashton's front door.

The overwhelming sensation of déjà-vu hit him as he remembered the first time he's knocked on Ashton's door. He shook the memory from his head and knocked.

He heard some clattering in the background and saw a light flick on through the small window in the door. It swung open a few seconds later, revealing a disheveled, tear stained Ashton. Ashton didn't say a word as he turned around and went back inside, leaving the door open; a silent invitation for Luke to follow him.

Luke followed Ashton upstairs and in to his room, his heart sinking when he saw Ashton's room still trashed. Ashton sat down directly in the middle of the mess, avoiding the shards of glass scattered about as he crossed his legs. He brushed off the floor in front of him, gesturing for Luke to sit. And he did, mirroring Ashton's sitting position as he lowered himself on to the hardwood floor.

"There is something about me that you definitely don't know."

Luke held his breath, looking at Ashton expectantly. Ashton lifted his gaze from the floor and stared directly in to Luke's eyes.

"I-" his voice broke and he looked down. He took a deep breath to compose himself and Luke took his right hand in his, silently urging him on.

"I have about two more months left in my life."

Luke felt something inside him shatter.

"What?"

Ashton sighed, his shoulders slumping.

"I'm dying, Luke."

~
A/N

please don't comment on how this is too cliché, this story line reflects largely on my sister's life & death.

and i am going to try and keep this story as unconventional as possible, so.

i really hope you guys keep reading after this point, i have so much more in store for this story.

ily all xx