Lucky

Empty streets and flickering lamps, the pale-blooded moon hanging low on the darkened sky. The towers of the cathedral, the gothic architecture, statues adorning the streets, their steps echoed through the strange city; a beautiful setting fit for a tragedy. There was not a soul in sight, yet through the silence, whimpering of unknown creatures pierced through, sending shivers down the spines of those brave enough to walk its paths. Shadows creeped in the corner of one's eyes, the feeling of being watched sticking to the bones, sinking its claws deeper and deeper into the marrow.

If she knew it would have been like this, she wouldn't have agreed to his idea in a thousand years.

"Ok. Here we are! Home sweet home." Yurie said, unlocking the door of what used to be her former home.

May followed her quietly inside, dragging her luggage behind her, glad to be away from whatever lurked outside and hoped that it wouldn't make its way into the house. Her eyes had been on Yurie the entire time they made their way through Yharman, the woman's nonchalant attitude as they walked, as if nothing bad could happen to her. This strange sense of normality she had. It was somewhat reassuring and worrisome at the same time.

"Feel free to leave your luggage anywhere you want." Yurie spoke, pulling the girl out of her thoughts.

She turned on the lights, revealing the interior of the house. The main door led straight to the living room, which was a cozy, little space, with a chimney in the right corner and two couches surrounding it, a coffee table resting in the middle. Large bookshelves were positioned along the walls, each one filled to the brim with books and documents. The entire room was died in pale shades of brown and yellow, highlighted by the golden light of the chandelier. In the farthest corner. there was a pair of stairs leading to the upper floor. All the furniture was covered in dust, sign that no one had been there in quite a long while.

"Sorry, for the mess. I haven't been here in quite some time and well..." the woman began, scratching the back of her head, a light blush running across her cheeks.

"D-Don't worry about it." May said, waving her hand in dismissal. "I was fully prepared to sleep in an abandoned house, so this is a luxury in comparison. Thank you again for letting me stay with you, Miss Yurie."

"Just Yurie is enough. No need for politeness and you're welcome. You're sister and her friends helped us when we needed most so I'm glad to return the favor. And besides, looking at the state of this place..." she added, running her finger across the coffee table, examining the gathered, thick layer of dust. "Anyway, let me show you to the bedroom. Unfortunately, there's only one bed in the house, but I have a spare mattress in the attic which should do the job."

"Thanks a lot." May replied, following the scholar upstairs.

The stairs led to a long hallway, with four doors on each side, pictures put in oval frames and flower pots, all withered though, decorating the floors and walls.

As they headed to the bedroom, May threw a glance at the portraits, the faces looking back at her from a faded world of paint and paper. The first on was of a young boy and girl, both of them around the ages of 10 and 7, with black hair and dark eyes, wearing formal suits and dresses and hats to protect them from the sun. The boy was glaring at the one taking the photo, while the girl was all smiles, showing her perfect teeth to the camera. The other one was of the same boy, now an adult, doting a dark coat and vest, a mask covering his mouth and nose. He changed so much; the only traces left of the child he had once been, being his eyes, still filled with innocence and a childish rebellion.

"That's my brother." Yurie said, snapping the girl from her thoughts once more.

She had removed her headpiece, displaying her hair caught in a messy bun, and the eyes which, just like her sibling's, still retained that childish air. She was similar with her brother in appearance, with a moon shaped face and almond eyes. She was young, not older than 25 maybe.